Author Topic: Seed sharing 2011 results  (Read 7463 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Seed sharing 2011 results
« on: May 25, 2012, 21:12:35 »
Hey Jayb!...I just had to tell you some good news..with last years fiasco with my sweetcorn germination..I can proudly announce that I've got not 110 painted mountain corn plants on a go.. ;D ::) Your seeds been FAB..one complain..I've got one pot where the seed haven't emerged YET..I 'really' wanted to grow 111 corn plants.. ::) ;)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Seed sharing 2011 results
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 21:32:01 »
 ;D ;D ;D.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 06:31:11 »
111 would mess the block up  :P

Glad germination has been ok, I can send more if you need them? They didn't grow very tall for me, so will be intresting to hear how they do for other folk.
I have to admit I've not sown mine yet and I did buy another packet from the States to grow and compare and hopefully add a few more genes to the pool. But I've got side tracked growing sweet corn so I'm not sure if I'll have room them year  :-\
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 07:38:33 »
Hi Jay, is anyone growing the stuff I sent XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 09:04:50 »
I know some of your tomato seeds have gone out from the tomato swap, but Oh Jeannine, the Seed Circle seeds are sat by the side of me as we speak. Such a lovely selection of seeds you sent to us all  :-[ I’m afraid I’ve drifted on this. I’ll do a post for it. I’ve also finally listed all the tomato seeds (some things still need to be added to a couple of categories), though I can’t remember if Great White and Madame Jardell’s Black are for the Seed Circle or not? I’ve got some other seeds to list for Dave M too.
x

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 09:09:54 »
Code: [Select]
I can send more if you need them? Need!?  :o...oh thanks for the offer but I think I've got enough for this year... ;D Just a question about this variety..were they ok to eat as 'corn on the cob' or is it purely just for corn meal...do I need to invest for heavy duty corn mill? ::)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 09:24:52 »
I only ate a few cobs raw straight from the plants, they were tasty and quite sweet, I may have hit them just right. I think I've read they are good cooked, just need to get the water boiling first  :P

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 19:28:42 »
Jay no probs, I was just ineterested in who was growing what.It was the soya and lims beans mostly as I was hoping I had sent some that would be good for the UK.Not to worry.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 15:02:20 »
Last year I grew for circle some  Swedish Skansk Margart peas..and I wasn't quite sure how to categorize them..tall 'normal' type or short climbing..they reached last year 5ft. I'm growing them again this year as I found them really delicious..and they are now already about 6 ft tall..so yes, they are climbing and they've flowered now about a week or so..looking forward for another good crop from them. They certainly seem to like it here.. ;D...rain or not.. ::)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 23:46:47 »
Last year I grew for circle some  Swedish Skansk Margart peas..and I wasn't quite sure how to categorize them..tall 'normal' type or short climbing..they reached last year 5ft. I'm growing them again this year as I found them really delicious..and they are now already about 6 ft tall..so yes, they are climbing and they've flowered now about a week or so..looking forward for another good crop from them. They certainly seem to like it here.. ;D...rain or not.. ::)

I agree, they are fab - to 5ft, branching and lots of big peas.  I would class them as tall peas, not as intermediate.  Heavy yielding. 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 23:49:47 »
Lettuce Sylvesta - did we get this last year or the year before?  Anyway, nice lettuce, good heads.  Leaves are strong and firm, growing to seed here for future years.  Like!   :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 23:52:45 »

I agree, they are fab - to 5ft, branching and lots of big peas.  I would class them as tall peas, not as intermediate.  Heavy yielding. 

What!...are picking them already..?..mine are still loooong way from that.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 00:04:49 »

So many other brill seeds - will report when more are growing fruit.  Everything is so late this year.

Another from the previous swap was the white beetroot.  We had some huge beetroots aned very tasty.

For some reason, the Turkish Rocket took a long time to germinate but all is well and planted now.  Looking forward to them taking off, so that we can taste a few leaves.  Should they have been in the propagator/greenhouse?

Quilquina (sp?) is doing very well in the greenhouse, but I may have planted them too close together, they are growing quite big.

Your seeds will be anticipated for this year, Jeannine.  Will do the best for the limas we can.  The Edamame this year are in the warmth and desperately hoping for a good summer  :(, but we haven't given up on them yet.  

Thank you everybody - there are many happy and grateful thoughts going out from my patch to the seed donors from the circle.   :)  

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 00:12:08 »

What!...are picking them already..?..mine are still loooong way from that.

Started seeds in February and yes  :) 

They were also not pigeon damaged  :).  Despite CDs and strings, the Paula peas were decimated and will need longer to produce, but there should be enough for seed saving eventually even so, unfortunately not for sharing I fear.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 13:53:13 »
The Paula Pea's are delicious and will be worth the wait.

I have another growing and forget the name.  It is only 5ft and all the flowers are located in bunches at the top.  Its a nice neat block and wonder if its 'Salmon flowered' as the flowers are pink? 

I mixed up the labels  ::)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 15:05:28 »
The Paula Pea's are delicious and will be worth the wait.

I have another growing and forget the name.  It is only 5ft and all the flowers are located in bunches at the top.  Its a nice neat block and wonder if its 'Salmon flowered' as the flowers are pink? 

I mixed up the labels  ::)

That's what my 'salmon flowered' are doing.  Forgot to mention these, very unusual looking, the stem seems to be fatter at the top than the bottom, all grown together.  I think 'fasciated' is what that is called.  Fascinating pea.

How tall are your Paula?  Mine got 'pruned'  n o t  in a good way by pigeons and I fear will not make full height.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 12:23:16 »
The Salmon flowered ones are certainly unusual and rather attractive.  I like the fact that all the peas are bunched together but wonder if the wait could topple the stems once they mature.

My Paula pea are around 6ft.  I have another variety of pea that is around 11ft.  They got to 7ft then toppled onto a support then started growing up again.  Too much for a small garden plot at my mums house but on the flip side, there are so many flowers and therefore peas!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 12:34:09 »
Sparrows have show bit too much interest of my peas and I've ended up netting every single lot.. ::)..luckily I have got quite a lot of enviromesh..and without doing anything fancy with it..it is just chucked over the plants and kept in place with few clothes pegs. It ain't pretty but do the job and good news is that those plants that got almost nibbled into ground, they produced lot of new growth..so things are looking better than I thought at first.. ;D

Code: [Select]
The Paula Pea's are delicious and will be worth the wait. Ummm... :-\..those little gray peas?...hard as bullets...? I only tasted some last year and found them not so nice as fresh peas and doomed them into 'pea soup peas only' gategory... ::) But yes..mine grew about 6 ft tall too.
I haven't grown them this year at all as I have some other 'cooking' peas in production...well one hopes anyway.. ::)

Galina...if you paula peas should not produce..I still got plenty of seed left from last year, if you should need more.. ;)

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 12:53:12 »
How do i join this lovely seed sharing circle as i have quite a few seeds to share.
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 13:02:43 »
My Early Tanana and Latah tomatoes have got lots of fruit on them.
Lots of pods on the Purple podded peas.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal