Author Topic: Plum tree pests  (Read 3344 times)

rogkat

• Not So New ...
Plum tree pests
« on: May 19, 2012, 19:45:43 »
I noticed today that some of my victoria plum tree leaves have small holes in them, looking a bit closer a few leaves are curling over and inside them are what look like tiny caterpillars, has anybody any idea what they are and how to get rid of them please,
Thanks

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Plum tree pests
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 20:41:30 »
There is all sort pests for plums..and some may 'pay' a visit and not being classified as 'plum pest'.
If it would be my tree..I would leave it be. If you were to spray your tree with insecticide, you will kill more goodies than kill baddies.
As the weather is so bad..food source for birds is scarce. I suspect that any caterpillars will be soon polished off by hungry birds as this time of the year they have youngsters to feed too.
Even if these insect do some damage to the leaves..its quite likely anything worst than just few 'not so nice looking leaves'..rarely this sort of things have any permanent or even weakening effect to your tree.
Just keep eye on the situation..if the tree start to get defoliated in extent..then it might be good idea to start thinking of taking action..as for now..sit tight and let nature deal with it..where there is insects, the predators are not far behind.. ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 20:49:39 by goodlife »

rogkat

• Not So New ...
Re: Plum tree pests
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 13:32:55 »
thanks for that it was just what I wanted to hear, will keep an eye on the tree, it does only seems to be the leaves at the moment.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal