Author Topic: Fruit cage idea  (Read 7765 times)

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
Fruit cage idea
« on: May 22, 2012, 14:21:01 »
I don't plan yet to have a fruit cage on my new allotment but see several on neighbouring plots. I also saw a £120 price tag on one at my local nursery.
I had an idea about them though. Cheap gazebos are around £17 in Argus and may be cheaper elsewhere. The Argus ones are 8ft X8ft with tons of head room. Two of them at either end of a cage with some simple cane struts between plus netting would give quite a luxurious fruit cage.
I hope that sparks some ideas.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: Fruit cage idea
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 18:22:13 »
Mmmmmmmmmmmm..... good thinking Batman..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 18:32:16 »
How about using the frame from one of the old style frame tents ? might be able to get one on freecycle maybe  :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 19:37:01 »
I had thought about that idea a while ago but what about watering with the roof on it? We put tall poles in the ground, netted the roof & sides & OH made a door but others make a curtain with the netting.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 20:57:05 »
Two years ago we did the gazebo thing we just put up the frame and bought the blk netting, we used plastic ties to hold it in place cut the net to the shape of the roof all was fine till heavy snow bent, and shredded, the net and frame work, it needed a support in the middle of the roof to stop it buckling ,it was worth a go  :)

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 06:55:23 »
Our second hand gazobo is fine but the netting was taken off over the winter or it would have failed. Most people on my site take the top netting off to reduce snow damage. It's the brassicas that cause more problems with the blasted pigeons  >:(
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal