Author Topic: fruit fly problem  (Read 3146 times)

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
fruit fly problem
« on: February 23, 2005, 13:16:57 »
We seem to have quite a few of those pesky tiny flies around at the moment - I think they are fruit flies - both at home and at work

Anyone have this problem, and know how to get rid of them - other than walking round the house either squishing them to the window, or splatting them when they annoyingly hover in front of your face?!!!

ps - not visited the site for a while, nice to be back and read everyones messages

Joolieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Joolieeee

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: fruit fly problem
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 07:20:44 »
They are onto you as soon as you pour your first glass!!

And d***d difficult to swat.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 21:57:16 »
I have the cheapest, most organic and fun way of dealing with the little blighters! Discovered on a rainy day whilst hoovering, are you with me ?! ;) Hoover them up! Works a treat. Wait til about half an hour after watering so as not to have a massive intake of dried compost, and proceed to infected area, be careful around foliage, but it really does work. really... really! 8)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 22:06:48 »
Wet compost up your vacuum cleaner,  ??? you are avin a laugh aint ya ???

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 13:00:53 »
Roy    the compost is wet through so it won't easily be sucked up like if it was dry.  Like the lady said BE CAREFUL  ;D ;D    You could always put a sock or tights over the nozzle to reduce the suck (ah dear) wish I'd not said that now  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 21:42:07 »
Water and electricity don't mix, electricity is a good master but a bad friend, I would advise people not to place a vacuum pipe over wet compost, accidents do happen. ::)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 22:43:27 »
Roy   don't fret thee sen lad.  I've been ooverin up compost since I were a lass and it never did me no arm.  The idea is that the compost is very heavy as it's wet through so it doesn't suck up.  The aphids get sucked up but not the compost  ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 23:15:32 »
Iv'e said enough other than, play with fire you get burn't :o

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 08:23:23 »
My vacuum cleaner must be extra powerful - it would suck up the whole plant! (have fruit flies round my dying back amaryllis) Think it would have to be fishnet tights or holey socks over the end, or flies wouldn't get up?. Must be another way, me thinks, - but dunno wot.
Dawn

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 09:48:39 »
I have a tip (yes me!).  You know those Vapona fly killer blocks for the kitchen.  Well, apparently if you position these near your affected plant then they will be rendered dead (the insects that is)  :)  They are not coming into contact with the plant itself just the insects

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 10:05:19 »
Also if they are sciarid flies rather than fruit flies then using a non peat based compost reduces the problem even further!
Gardening is the great leveller.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 19:57:01 »
I've been hoovering flies for many a year (?), still in one piece, not a fruit fly in site. The electric supply is not near the hoover and the nozzle is even further away from the hoover ;D Works for me! Also found it useful for keeping carpets clean too... ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal