Author Topic: growing celery  (Read 1643 times)

strawberry1

• Hectare
growing celery
« on: May 24, 2012, 08:07:38 »
I grew a few in a planter bag last year and this year have young plants to go out when the weather gets cooler. I have a self blanching one and a red from real seeds. The red one looks vigorous and pretty hardy. I was thinking of getting the green into a raised bed, shared with carrots and under enviromesh and the red onto a normal patch. Do you have any hints as I have never grown celery before, apart from in the planter

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: growing celery
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:03:54 »
Just keep it damp... it's a swamp plant...   :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:43:09 »
I grow mine succsfully in raised beds, I dig a (not very deep) trench and plant them in the bottom. This helps when watering to keep them moist, and you can earth up a bit as they grow. ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 18:01:24 »
thanks Deb and Saddad, two very good and useful tips for me. Much appreciated

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 20:53:01 »
Two things Celery love is manure and water, so dig in plenty of well rotten manure.
If you have any old 6" plant pots cut the bottoms out and place over the plants you do this only to support the outer stems,  remove any side shoots as they grow.
About mid July onwards when the plant is at its thickest collar them with cardboard two thirds up the plant, you can raise the collar as it gets taller.
Keep the plant moist but not wet to avoid heart rot.
Celery is very attractive to slugs so if you dont mind using slug pellets then use them.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal