Author Topic: Car boot bargains  (Read 2711 times)

claybasket

• Hectare
Car boot bargains
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:31:59 »
Hi, we decided to put up a bamboo fencing for a wee bit of privacy,it's to cover up a chain link council fence,looked on the internet for bamboo plants, what a shocker! very expensive!nearly cheaper to go to china and get them,( A nice thought  ;D)so went to the car booty and couldn't be leave our luck a chap was selling bamboo plants £2 they are very pot boundbut mature plants and i also bought 2 bronze grasses don't know the names but was well chuffed,It goes to show that it's worth the bother to go and have a look at the booty's,we went for wood ,got that to. ;D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Car boot bargains
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:41:13 »
I hope you don't regret choosing bamboo - most of them are real thugs and will spread and take over . I had great difficulty removing 8ft underground runners when trying to get rid of mine after only three years! Leave the slightest bit and it will regrow.

Unfortunately, my direct neighbour planted one for privacy right against my fence - I spend half the year trying to remove the invasive roots which spread even under the retaining wall!

Tricia

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 11:18:26 »
Yep..they can be thugs.
I had beautiful purple caned one that I grew in my lottie for many years and every year I was able to harvest plenty of canes from it. They never grew very thick which were fine for peas and flowers, but that one was clump forming bamboo and never ventured anywhere but just grew bigger and thicker 'bush'...but sadly it 'flowered' and it was my final cane harvesting year.
I'm on look out of something similar for right price and hopefully start growing my own canes again.. ;) ;D

Linnea

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 18:00:02 »
Hi Goodlife

I've thought about growing my own canes. do the canes go straight into the ground when you've cut them or do they need any kind of treatment?

Thanks

Linnea

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 18:15:42 »
Code: [Select]
I've thought about growing my own canes. do the canes go straight into the ground when you've cut them or do they need any kind of treatment?
If the canes don't have any abstruction on the way when they are growing they usually are straight..but once you cut them and dry them, they need to be dried flat surface or they dry bent.
Other than that, canes don't need any other 'treatment'.

Linnea

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 22:01:35 »
How long do they need to be dried for before they are usable?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal