Author Topic: Why are 'volunteer' tomato seedlings better than deliberately sown?  (Read 1778 times)

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
Got some tomato seedling coming up in my home compost (guess the temp didn't get up high enough to kill them in the heap) and they are looking far healthier than my deliberately sown tomatoes.

Anyone got any suggestions about why this might be?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Because the handful that will have made it are super tough....

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
And had a very early start, in a warm damp place?

goodlife

• Hectare
Perharps their roots have had 'free run' and grown bigger to start with..and they've not been checked by pricking out etc.

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
Great theories.

Has anyone had successful tomatoes (plants &/or crop) from these 'volunteers'?

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Has anyone had successful tomatoes (plants &/or crop) from these 'volunteers'?

Yes they usually grow fine: however in the end, they usually give no more (but no less) than your mollycoddled ones! As often they finish earlier in the season...  However I have often had one or two "wild" ones come up, I plant them in a suitable place if necessary and I find them to be very tough and just as productive as others.  Tigerella are very prone to this, I have found. Their seeds must be tough!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal