Author Topic: Yellowing onions  (Read 1178 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Yellowing onions
« on: May 01, 2012, 22:59:58 »
And another one. Last tonight I promise!

I sowed onions into John Innes in early Feb and planted out on 11&12 April, They had produced their second true leaves by then. At the time of planting the cotyledons had died back. I removed any yellowing ones and any that had completely died off to reduce appeal to onion fly. I didn't feed them at all while thay were in the modules, which I now realise was probably a mistake.

They've not really done much since planting out. Now, the first true leaves are yellowing and i've had a few plants die off completely. I fed with seaweed fertiliser today in the hope it might perk tham up but I'm nervous i'm going to lose the lot. I'm going to get some deionised water tomorrow and to a PH and a total nitrogen on the soil, both in an unplanted area of the same bed and from the area that the onions are in. Unfortunately that's about the extent of my analytical arsenal.

Weather has been cold, but not frosty, little sunshine, not much heavy rain - showery.

I'll report back on test results tomorrow and dig up the next one that looks like it's about to pop it's clogs to see if there's any obvious root damage. It seems to be random onions in random rows, there's nothing moving up a row from one plant to the next.

Hopefully someon can point me in the right direction, or better still, tell me there's nothing to worry about and this always happens.

Cheers

Gordon

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Yellowing onions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 15:57:59 »
Weather has been cold, but not frosty, little sunshine, not much heavy rain - showery.

This your problem, my problem and possibly most peoples problem, not as you might think; the compost or the feeding, its lack of light!

Nothing is growing worth a light! (pardon the pun) but April has been a terrible growing month generally, different from last year when it was quite the reverse and we had difficulty keeping plants cool!

Ah!! ....the joys of gardening!!  ::) ???

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal