Author Topic: Climbers and stuff...  (Read 1222 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Climbers and stuff...
« on: April 29, 2012, 19:32:14 »
My wife actually asked me to post this question. After about 18 months of work (not by me I have to admit) we're finally getting a proper back garden. What was a landfill site from rubble taken out from the house, it's now almost a patio with a small pool in the middle and trellis fencing around 2 sides.

My wife has bought a few clematis plants but we can't decide what else to plant up the trellis. We obviously want climbers but also need something that will hang down the side of the wall as the garden is about 4 metres above the road. We talked about ivy but that's tad dull - does anyone have any suggestions for both "climbers and hangers"

Ideally it would be something that didn't drop its leaves, bit of colour and can put up with cold winters and hot summers. If it had something edible that would be a real bonus.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Climbers and stuff...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 19:41:21 »
We're putting in some passionflowers this year, and we have a golden hop. Don't know how they cope with your climate, though  :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 20:16:59 »
Actinidia, make sure you get the self fertile type otherwise you will need male and female plants. Lovely scent from the flowers and kiwi fruits to harvest.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 20:27:19 »
Thanks a lot for the suggestions.  Passion flowers are fine here, I'd completely forgotten about them. I bought a kiwi only two weeks ago and didn't think of that either for the garden, cheers!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal