Author Topic: Pickling beetroots  (Read 3024 times)

fitzsie

• Acre
Pickling beetroots
« on: May 24, 2014, 18:00:40 »
I'm not a great lover of beetroot but I do like the beetroot I get from Sainsburys which has been pickled in balsamic vinegar. This year I have planted two varieties of beetroot which can be picked small and thought I would pickle them (should they continue to keep growing !!)  Does anyone have any recipes for pickling? I also am thinking of cooking them first by baking in foil in the oven to reduce the smell - can't stand it which is why I think I have never loved it !!

Just hoping now that I haven't jumped the gun and end up with a disastrous crop of beetroot !!
Bring back Spotty Dog........

lifesahaze

• Not So New ...
Re: Pickling beetroots
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 19:28:44 »
Mmm pickled beetroot! 

If you don't like the smell, when you're roasting the beetroot put a small splash of wine vinegar over the beetroot (a bit of a drizzle over the top, not enough to leave a puddle underneath) while they're in the oven.  The wine vinegar, if it's a nice light one, will help mask the smell.

I would use about 3/4 - 1 litre of vinegar to a kilo of beetroot.  If you like the lighter taste, a wine vinegar's good but can be really expensive.  I would add about 20-50g sugar per kilo to the vinegar (but you don't have to).  Boil the vinegar for about a minute or so with the sugar, plus if you're into it, you can add one of the following:

1. 2 whole chillies, cut from the tip to almost the stem 4 or 5 times around to effectively 'banana' them - then leave to cool for 2 hours  after boiling, and remove the chillies
2. A muslin bag with 1 tbsp peppercorns, 5 cloves and a few coriander seeds - leave to cool for a couple of hours after boiling, remove the bag.
3. If you're going for the lighter taste, a splash or 2 of balsamic

Peel and slice beetroot, and stack in sterilised jars.   Bring the vinegar back to the boil, then cover the beetroot and seal.  It's ok to eat after a couple of weeks.

Hope that's ok - enjoy!  :coffee2:

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 19:30:08 »
This is my super tasty spiced beetroot recipe in the recipes section..

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,68744.msg698609.html#msg698609
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 15:10:53 »
Thanks for those recipes, will try them. Once in the jar how long can they be kept ?
Bring back Spotty Dog........

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 21:00:18 »
I use a very similar recipe but only 1 cup of sugar to 2 cups(500 ml) of wine or cider vinegar. I fill the bottles to overflowing(excluding all air) with the boiling liquid before putting on the lids. Using such a method, unopened bottles will keep for years, assuming that you do not open them during the next year.
If you are unable to open the lids, heat up the bottle in a pan of boiling water, until the pressure equalises, and the lid will unscrew easily.
Several recipies for pickles and chutneys are here:- http://www.growyourown.info/page51.html
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 22:53:15 »
I also am thinking of cooking them first by baking in foil in the oven to reduce the smell - can't stand it which is why I think I have never loved it !!
I bake them all the time quartered, not peeled except if the top is corky looking and tossed in olive oil in an open pan for about 20-25 min.. Can't say I notice any bad smell. Could you try quartering some baking potatoes with them? Then probably all you'd smell is wonderful potato aroma.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 00:36:17 »
Thanks for those recipes, will try them. Once in the jar how long can they be kept ?

I have kept them for 2-3 years no problem..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal