Author Topic: Why have my Toms stopped growing?  (Read 2123 times)

Two Choices

• Acre
Why have my Toms stopped growing?
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:30:52 »
After a slow start, my Gardeners delight got to about two inches and have simply stopped growing. The beef toms sown at the same time are now about 6 inches high. I think I overwatered early on as they went a bit yellow, so let them recover and gave them a little feed.
Should I feed them more or try and plant some new ones. They are in the greenhouse and have had overnight heat to keep the temperature between 5 and 10 degrees (which has always been successful in the past)

The other strange thing is that not one of my squash, marrow or courgettes germinated ( 20 plants in all!)

Any suggestions welcome TC  ???

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Why have my Toms stopped growing?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 09:42:19 »
My toms have been the same but i wonder if it is down to the cold weather and with a bit of warmth and sunshine they will pick up.

Lets hope so.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:49:23 by Ellen K »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 17:22:14 »
What compost are you using?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 17:41:09 »
Um ... mine are in Wickes MP, a bag left over from last year.

So I dont think it's that, not for me anyway.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 18:15:04 by Ellen K »

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 19:24:04 »
With the tomato plants if you have give them to much water the roots may have become clogged and cant breath. If they have been in the same compost to long it may have run out of nutrients there is only 4 to 6 weeks feed in compost. You could let them dry out and give them a bottom watering with a mix of Epsom Salts.
Using old compost is not a good thing as it does go off.

How was the squash, marrow and courgette seed planted flat or on the side, if planted on the flat then that could be the reason for none germination
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 22:05:27 »
Thanks for the comments. I'll  let them dry a bit then repot them in fresh compost. After initial sowing they were transplanted on into J Bowers bought this year.

As for the squash etc, seeds were planted on end. I actually dug one up today and it is just the same as when it was planted it no sign of shoots and not rotten. Been nearly two weeks now so thinking I might buy some new seed and try again.  Bet the moment I do that then everything will burst into life. Well I hope so!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 22:15:55 »
What sort of propagator are you using.... with conditions like they are all the cucurbits will need heat... Toms might well have just got a bit too cold and are having a sulk... though the watering/compost conjecture is pretty good too....

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 22:16:48 »
When you say on end i would take that as the pointed ends up and down as aposed to being on their side as they should be planted
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 22:17:28 »
I agree, Squash need bit of heat to germinate, so it might be too cold for them. Have you got an airing cupboard or somewhere warmer? Mine go in my propagator at its highest setting, they were up in 2 days.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 07:13:15 »
Humm ... might go out and buy some posh compost, thank you.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 08:18:03 »
I put squash seeds in damp kitchen roll put in a yogurt pol covered in plastic and put on the radiator, 'some like it hot'.  They also like light so if they do not germinate try putting them on a very sunny windowsill.  Oh forget not much sun at the moment.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal