Author Topic: Yellow Hammer.  (Read 1892 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Yellow Hammer.
« on: April 28, 2012, 14:16:25 »
For the last few days we have had a yellow hammer visiting our garden & wonder if there's anything to do to encourage it.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: Yellow Hammer.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 14:26:39 »
Lucky you, I'm a touch envious!  They eat mostly insects but according to one of my books you could try hemp, millet or even canary mix in your garden.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 14:51:34 »
Ohhh Janet!..you don't get your ironing done by staring out of window all day and watching birds.. ;) ;D..as nice as they are.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 15:24:57 »
Ironing done ;) for a change. This is from the kitchen window. I tend to hog that window to prevent OH from washing up ::).

Thank you Flighty. I think it's eating the no grow mix ATM. It came at first in the evening but now several times a day. I'm on the look out for his OH ;D.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 19:54:55 »
Yellowhammers are another bird in decline.  when I first moved here I had regular visits from the Yellow Hammers because I live beside farm land.   No more.   Maybe see a pair once a year, if that.   shame really.  they are striking birds.   I do still hear them though with their distinctive call. 

:-*

mentallot

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 14:33:15 »
so pleased I found the bird thread(s) today, made me go and id one I'd seen in the garden last week - goldfinch. Lovely :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal