Author Topic: Courgette plants  (Read 7307 times)

Nigel B

• Hectare
Re: Courgette plants
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 15:10:08 »
Oops! Left mine outside overnight by accident.
I'll be constructing a fleece (terram 1000) tent for them on the plot this afternoon. But first I need to find some Hazel or Willow whips for the supports..

What is a terram 1000 tent Nigel ?  Intrigued  !    :)

Ooops. Sorry. I forgot to check back on the thread. 'Terram 1000' is a while, fleece-like material used on landfill sites and such. I managed to blag part of a roll of it from my lad. It's really good stuff, and lets enough light in for plants to grow happily enough. It's also really useful used as a low windbreak. Well, it works for me.  :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 00:50:27 »
In the next day or two I am risking a couple of plants by putting them out on top of a soil covered compost heap that catches the sun. I'll cover them with large plastic (loads of litres) empty water bottles and hope.  ;)

Well mine were loving their sunny position on top of an establish compost heap covered in soil...... until the slugs noticed them.  ::)

Some twit forgot the sprinkle with slug pellets - remembered this evening by which time one has provided dinner for the slugs. Oh well.... loads more in pots but next time the pellets go down as soon as the plants go in!  ;)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 10:02:15 »
Oh no!  :o At least you have some spares.

I'm hardening mine off too - but to be honest I always leave my plants outdoors 24-7 when hardening off. Normally I just trust that as long as they don't have the shock of transplantation and they're near the warmth of the house bricks, they'll be ok. So far it's worked. I don't have time to bring them in and out everyday.

...Hope I'm not proved wrong this year!  :)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 14:38:11 »
Thanks Nigel , expensive stuff ! Well done you getting that piece for free .  :)
Trespassers will be composted !

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 23:38:38 »
Oh no!  :o At least you have some spares.

I'm hardening mine off too - but to be honest I always leave my plants outdoors 24-7 when hardening off. Normally I just trust that as long as they don't have the shock of transplantation and they're near the warmth of the house bricks, they'll be ok. So far it's worked. I don't have time to bring them in and out everyday.

...Hope I'm not proved wrong this year!  :)

I came to the same conclusion this year. Just outside of the greenhouse is a south-facing wall, a proper little sun-trap. Thanks for confirming what I'd hoped Pigeonseed. I'll rest easier now.  :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal