Author Topic: Weather  (Read 4572 times)

wellies2012

• Not So New ...
  • Paige's Patch
Weather
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:45:36 »
As a novice the question is would anyone plant spuds,onion sets, garlic in this weather?

Kind ??? regards Derek

pumkinlover

Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:50:02 »
Err- not if any alternative!!! ;) ;) ;)
Of course if you are worried about when you will get chance to plant them that's understandable that you might have to get them in.
But it would be very unpleasant and might put you off for ever :)
If you HAVE to work in this weather use an old plank to stand on not the soil. If you have raised beds you might find it easier as they drain better.

Welcome to the forum :)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 12:50:56 »
Nice first post  :)

I managed to get a row of spuds in yesterday in between the showers.

Hissing it down today so no visit.

Better Q may be: when will we get an opportunity to plant anything with this weather forecast for the next week at least?

Welcome to the forum.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:54:47 »
If your ground is already dug and its not totally a mudbath..then perharps yes..
I did plant some bits yesterday..but it was desperate measures. My ground was already prepared so planting wasn't such a huge job. Potatoes yes, onions yes..BUT, you are getting bit late with garlic planting..though if you do plant some..you propably not ending with very big bulb with many cloves in it..but just one larger single solid clove in a bulb shape. Its still edible..and once lifted up...let your spare ones dry out and plant them again into different part of the plot and next summer they will be BIG and BEAUTIFUL.  ;D

wellies2012

• Not So New ...
  • Paige's Patch
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 12:59:01 »
I went to the plot yesterday and the ground was very damp although drainage is good! the forecast for Mitcham is rain and more rain.

A plank to stand on sounds a good idea I think Ill wait a couple of days ans see how things turn out ..

Thanks all

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 13:15:36 »
the good news is that it is due to warm up and dry out next week!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 13:25:44 »

I do hope so  :)

Welcome to A4A wellies
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 13:27:57 »
I could do with some warmth so I also hope you are right. 

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 13:35:47 »
  It was a lovely morning at 6 am hung out a wash and we went out to B&Q O H said he was desperate for something for his tool kit ! a thing that cuts holes through bour big water but the blue type ,he had a tap he ordered of ebay ,so befor we got home it was pouring down to late for the washing just left it dripping them a five minute gap and O H was out there drilling testing cursing and then he's off to the lotty with the butt and his new tap to make sure we don't miss out on the water. ;D

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 13:39:34 »
I do hope so I'm off walking on Exmoor ???
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 14:09:25 »
We have had really C**P weather here to for last 20 days or so, but the crops seem to love it. The spuds and seedlings of various things have gone mad and the peas look good. I finally got some edible radish too! But I am a bit worried about the toms and peppers as they really need to go out soon, they are getting too big indoors.

It has been more windy, with regular showers, which is probably not so bad as the plants don't get drenched but regularly well watered.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 18:52:32 »
Needs must when the devil drives. There are worse things than planting spuds in the pouring wet. It wouldn't do any harm to hold off for a week or two.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 18:58:28 »
I'm off on holiday for 4 days to Bridport, Dorset in a caravan, for a walking holiday.  Help me please.  Think we may get two sunny days, otherwise a good book and a bottle of wine and a good sleep.  ;D ;D

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 21:18:28 »
I've spent the day upgrading the water system in the poly so the rain outside can water the plants inside...
Mind you the outdoor toms in the poly reckon its cold even though i snug them under a fleece at night. [ it has net doors..]
Despite all the extra work on irrigation a poly is still a nice thing to have  :) :)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 21:25:27 »
I've spent the day upgrading the water system in the poly so the rain outside can water the plants inside...
Mind you the outdoor toms in the poly reckon its cold even though i snug them under a fleece at night. [ it has net doors..]
Despite all the extra work on irrigation a poly is still a nice thing to have  :) :)

how are your toms fairing in the poly?

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 11:16:11 »
Come to sunny Spain  ;D

Actually the biggest problem here for the last few days has been the wind - it's stopped me putting out a lot of plants as they're gonna get damaged. The courgettes I put out last weekend have had their large leaves snapped off so I've spent this morning trying to fashion wind breaks. Really glad to have the polytunnel now as last year a lot of the toms suffered from a very drying wind.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 14:09:14 »

Actually the biggest problem here for the last few days has been the wind - it's stopped me putting out a lot of plants as they're gonna get damaged. The courgettes I put out last weekend have had their large leaves snapped off so I've spent this morning trying to fashion wind breaks.
Here in Nantes we get a lot of wind from the sea. Some plotters make windbreaks out of roof tiles, propped up against wooden stakes, and plant the courgette in the shelter of it. Might be an idea?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

wellies2012

• Not So New ...
  • Paige's Patch
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 17:24:36 »
Got some early and main crop potatoes, onion's, garlic in today also dug half of another bed.Ground was so wet though..hard work..think the soil is a litter more clay than I first expected..you learn something every day!..

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 19:35:11 »
Some plotters make windbreaks out of roof tiles, propped up against wooden stakes, and plant the courgette in the shelter of it.
That is a good idea, thanks - I'll try that. I can use the tiles that blew off my neighbour's roof too  ::)
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 20:57:13 »
A lovely Sunny day today.   8)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal