Author Topic: DIY probate, how easy is it?  (Read 4441 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
DIY probate, how easy is it?
« on: April 30, 2012, 18:59:33 »
As many of you know, Ray's mum has been quite ill for a long time. Yesterday, she decided she'd had enough. There is property involved but not of great worth. I've been asked by the executors to find out how easy/difficult it is to apply for probate themselves. Any advice greatfully received  :)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: DIY probate, how easy is it?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 20:00:14 »
Hello, I've done it twice though it was a while ago now.

Both parents died intestate so I transfered my Mum's estate to my Dad then his estate 50/50 to me and my sister.

The probate system itself was easy - I visited the Probate Office in Leicester, took an oath then a few weeks later I picked up a Letter of Administration.  Banks and the like recognise this and transfer assets to you.  I had a few bills to pay (including paying back a portion of their state pension IIRC) - then you give the money out according to what the law says.

So although the process itself is simple, when you get the letter, you can have a lot of work to do and some of it is pretty miserable.

But I did it rather than have a solicitors bill to give my Dad, or pay the bill myself.  Then I knew what was involved and went through it all again with me and my sister.  But if the bill were to be split between many beneficiaries, I am not sure I would bother.  

Life sure does suck sometimes. :(
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 20:03:49 by Ellen K »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 20:49:17 »
Sorry to hear that, Mal. I hope Ray is OK.

Probate is quite straightforward. I did it when my mother died and then of course for Peter.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/governmentcitizensandrights/death/preparation/dg_10029716

Keep clear of the lawyers as much as possible.

Hugs
Anne

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 21:02:27 »
Thank you both for the replies, Anne, thanks for the link  :)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 22:23:00 »
It's very straightfoward.  We did it about 5 years ago when my mother died.  One thing to watch out for is bad behaviour from the banks.  Her bank was obviously miffed that they hadn't been entrusted with the job at umpty-ump percent, and consistently "lost" any letters that we sen them, recorded delivery or no.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 10:16:08 »
Thanks, melbourne. I've already had 2 solicitors talk about how hard it is to do. We will be going into both the bank and building society with all the documents so, they can't ignore that  :)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:30:16 »
I recall that some banks will look at the document and immediately hand over a cheque.  But others want to send it all away to get it signed off by someone higher up.  I requested 2 copies of the probate document and it wasn't quite enough.  And of course things can be delayed or lost.

And it is a job that it done by the most junior person in a solicitor's office - so yes, do it yourselves and preserve the estate.  Grawrc said keep clear of lawyers and that is usually sound advice.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 11:29:00 »
Sorry to hear about Rays mom Mal. Hope you get things sorted without much fuss
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 13:21:44 »
Thinking of you both.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 13:32:38 »
Husband has a barclays bank account its one where you pay so much each month and you get extra benefits well one benefit was a will which was all done online and cost us nothing extra. Might be worth checking Rays mums bank and seeing if this is a service that she can use if she upgrades her bank account?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 14:52:43 »
My brother did it for my mother, and things were going well until the Probate Office contested her will.  She had used a non standard sized piece of paper so they thought something might have been cut off the bottom. 

Then both the witnesses were deceased so it all took extra time.  But it was all settled in the end. 

He managed to miss one buklding society account, so it all had to be done again. 

I am not sure a bank or solicitor would have done better, you still have to supply them with all the info. 

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 15:16:19 »
I handled my father's probate.  He had a will which was straightforward, a house to sell and a few savings accounts but handling it all myself meant that it was all done and dusted in 4 months and at a cost of only a few calls to the incredibly informative helpline and a few stamps.  He had died unexpectedly and suddenly and I also found solice in handling his affairs.  Would totally recommend DIY probate.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 19:02:21 »
I am sorry to hear about Ray's Mum and send my condolences to you both. 

When my father died in 1993, I applied for probate and did everything in accordance with his will.  It was very straight forward as everything went to my mother. 

When she died ten years ago I did the same thing for her estate.  It was all very easy, with the most difficult part being a trip to the probate office at Winchester where getting parked was a nightmare!   

I had a booklet called "What to do when someone dies" but these days it is all on line.  See: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/governmentcitizensandrights/death/whattodoafteradeath/dg_10029808

There was not a lot of work involved dealing with my parents estates and I no doubt saved thousands of pounds for a few hours work and the two trips to the probate office.  Everything was settled within a few weeks of their deaths whereas my cousin, who hired a solicitor when his parents died, was kept waiting well over a year for the settlement. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal