Author Topic: Ant damage  (Read 1299 times)

The-goodlife2012

• Not So New ...
Ant damage
« on: April 25, 2012, 16:26:21 »
Well the pesky little black ants have started on my peas and lettuce cutting little bits of leaf away have put some sugar pots all over the plot yesterday to see if that would keep them away, also my raddish looks like they have been had too, have loads of holes in the leaf ?? any idea??

I was expecting the ants with it being the first year for the plots after a very very very very very long rest.

Bubbles26

• Quarter Acre
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Ant damage
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 16:52:08 »
I have the same problem - they are all over my strawberries and peas :(

Was thinking about trying this

http://www.nemasysinfo.com/ants.shtml

Anyone tried it - Does it actually work

The Nemaslug has raving reviews - so was going to give that a try too but not sure if you can use them together ???
2015 - New plot. Let's go!!

Bubbles26

• Quarter Acre
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 20:27:31 »
Wee update - chriscross1966 just put me on to these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000TAW31A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3I67W30XQSSE8

The reviews look promising - and best of all the holes are tiny so only ants can get in - therefore not killing everything in its wake.

Just ordered and now quite excited to get rid of the nasty things

2015 - New plot. Let's go!!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 22:17:55 »
Radish holes are flea beetles, there's no real prevention except horrific chemicals or soil sterilising and covering with enviromesh ....

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 22:28:06 »
my parents use this to try and control ants turned out they had a nest of them which ran 5 paving slabs into there garden and 6 across there garden the other side of the fence took the council pest control a month of coming back lifting all the slaps and clearing out the dead and respraying before killing. They keep this for the summer to stop them getting back under the slabs :) Seams to work :)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 16:50:52 »
I thought ants just caused a bit of root disturbance sometimes. Tiny leaf holes are usually flea beetles and knotched bites from leaves some type of tiny weevil which plants grow out of. Superfine environmesh is the best solution I've come across for flea beetles - actually managed to get swede to grow last year using it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal