Author Topic: Broccoli  (Read 1581 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Broccoli
« on: April 24, 2012, 21:27:59 »
Hi folks

Having practically no idea about broccoli other than it tastes nice can someone point me in the right direction with a good variety/varieties to grow? I'm looking for the purple sprouting kind for a bit of tasty winter/spring scran.

Do I need a couple of varieties for succession or can i get away with just one?

There's two of us in the household so roughly how many plants should I go for?

Thanks again for your patience and i promise I'll stop asking questions as soon as I start eating things!

Cheers

Gordon

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Broccoli
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 22:15:55 »
I grew a white sprouting type this year and it was very good. Got broccoli for a month, loads of it, and it has only now gone to flower and I have dug them up. I had 4 plants and that was loads for us (4 people). It was White Eye, got it in a swap. It started giving in March.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Gordonmull

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 22:31:42 »
Nice one antipodes. Now I have an idea of quantity. Cheers.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 16:49:28 »
I've grown purple sprouting, don't think it had a special name. Just 2 plants enough for 2 of us but don't eat vast amounts of it. They grow very, very large.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 18:18:38 »
Rudolf produces crop before xmas.  Then there is late sprouting which extends the season.  The newer F1 hybrids produce large heads but I think the standard ones are more frost hardy.  T&M do a mixed packet of three varieties.

Depends on how much you eat.  I am on a very exposed windy site so they tend to die off over winter so I have quite a few plants, but we eat a large handful everyday.  And I give away quite a lot.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 20:58:56 »
I'd say its definitely worth planting 2 or 3 varieties for succession cropping, but having said that my Rudolph cropped well from December to March. I also grew a white sprouting broccoli to follow, but half of it came and went while I was in France for 2 weeks. This is often a problem with later varieties - they come all at once if the weather turns too warm. I had broccoli for dinner and there is still more to come.

Gordonmull

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 23:01:27 »
OK so Rudolph for some pre-xmas goodness. Sounds great. Yum, yum fresh broccoli instead of sprouts!!!

I'm in Grangemouth, near Edinburgh, so I need cold tolerant varieties more than heavy croppers. Think I'll stay away from the hybrids!

We'll probably eat a fair bit. Calabrese is one of our fave veggies so sprouting broccoili will fit in just fine as a replacement.

Cheers for the input folks, might be best if I have a gander at what's out there based on your suggestions and maye post back for some feedback on what i think might be suitable.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal