Author Topic: John Innes No.1  (Read 2053 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
John Innes No.1
« on: April 22, 2012, 16:29:59 »
Hi folks

I sowed leeks into 40 cell modules using John Innes no.1 on 11/3/12 and they are now putting out their third leaf. I understand that they're due to get planted out at pencil thickness.

From what I've read the No1 formulation is low in nutrients, so would I need to pot the leeks on, into say 20 cell modules with some multipurpose or should I leave well alone? I take it the same would apply to other plants sown into No.1? E.g. brassicas, herbs?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: John Innes No.1
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:05:51 »
I am inclined to use a seed compost made from my own mix of JI no1 and multipurpose compost, I find JI on its own stays too wet. However, your seedlings seem to be doing ok, but leeks like a long root run. I use a long tall pot to get seedlings going, then prick them out into rootrainers which lets them develop long roots before planting out. I confess mine never get to the mythical 'pencil thickness' before they go out, but they do well once their roots can run free....I would pot yours on into any multipurpose compost perhaps with a bit of JL3 mixed in, any pots or modules that have a bit of depth to them will do.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 10:48:25 »
Oh my goodness, I think I should be reported to the plant equivalent of the RSPCA, Roottrainers, pricking out? for Leeks?  Only Tomatoes, Sweetcorn and Peppers get that kind of molly coddling from me  :)

I just get a deep 1 or 2 litre pot, shove a load of Leek seeds in there in March, come May time I take out all the seedlings, shake off the compost and put them all into dibbed holes. 

For the ones in modules I wouldnt pot them on now, maybe give them a liquid feed if their looking a bit pasty but otherwise start to harden them off and get them outside.

Best laid plans and all that

Gordonmull

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 19:45:03 »
Cheers folks - off to the cold-frame with them.

Apart from the root depth issue, I take it I want to get any seedlings out of the low nutrient compost as soon as I can handle them?

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 19:52:59 »
I give mine a liquid feed of Miraclegrow or similar when they start to look tired and this seems to give them a significant boost for at least a couple of weeks.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Gordonmull

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 19:07:50 »
D'oh liquid feed. How obvious.  There's no forehead-slap emoticon, but that's what I'm doing.

It's a learning curve, as they say....

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:32:53 »
Feeding, now that is spoiling them! ;D Mine get my old favourite seaweed tonic at every other watering and chicken pellets at planting out and that's it, works for me.... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 10:38:44 »
Feeding, now that is spoiling them! ;D Mine get my old favourite seaweed tonic at every other watering and chicken pellets at planting out and that's it, works for me.... ;D

Seaweed Tonic? Chicken Pellets?  Sounds pretty well fed to me  ???
Best laid plans and all that

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 10:47:35 »
The Seasol is apparently more of a root stimulant rather than a balanced feed like for example Miracle Grow or Phosphogen, so I use that on all my seedlings to get them up and growing strongly. I did some little trials a couple of years ago and got by far the best results with this regime, the growth way compact and the amount of roots markedly more at planting out. I am really bad at remembering to feed mature plants so prefer to rake in the chicken pellets before planting then that's about it, they might get the odd splash of power feed if I have any left, otherwise it all goes on my greenhouse toms and containers.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 11:43:51 »
D'oh liquid feed. How obvious.  There's no forehead-slap emoticon, but that's what I'm doing.

It's a learning curve, as they say....

There you are Gordon  ;D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Gordonmull

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 22:33:01 »
lol cheers Duke, captures the moment perfectly  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal