Author Topic: When to start sowing seeds in an unheated greenhouse?  (Read 4639 times)

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
When to start sowing seeds in an unheated greenhouse?
« on: April 19, 2012, 20:00:17 »
I have an unheated greenhouse and usually by now I have started sowing seeds. However with the inclement weather experienced here in Wales, frosts at night, hailstones, fierce winds etc, what can I do to ensure germination?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: When to start sowing seeds in an unheated greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 20:21:47 »
We've started some stuff off in the cold poly, salads, beetroot, all the brassicas and leeks. We have some of the plastic tops that fit over the trays and some pieces of glass that we lay on top. I've also used a plastic bag over the top  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 20:28:40 »
Same here... we have carrots germinating in the soil so things should come up quite quickly in a greenhouse... even un-heated...  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 21:55:29 »
Anything basically hardy or native will be OK, if it was tomatoes or chillis or other tender stuff I'd say windowsill indoors then out to GH during the day, continue that until the weather gets sa bit warmer at night...

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 17:53:47 »
Thanks for the advice. I have been in the greenhouse today and started sowing seeds with some protection of fleece over.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 18:37:28 »
Anything basically hardy or native will be OK, if it was tomatoes or chillis or other tender stuff I'd say windowsill indoors then out to GH during the day, continue that until the weather gets sa bit warmer at night...

Quite agree with you..... anything that could be sown outside in April or May could be sown in an unheated greenhouse to get them moving faster.

It's the window sill in the warm for those softie seeds that like it warmer.  ;)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 20:36:31 »
Nothing is growing in my unheated plastic greenhouse, maybe cause the cats have been sleeping on the trays.  >:( >:(  When the weather was fine I got carried away, but the only plants that are growing are the peas, sweet peas, even the ones in the kitchen on the window cill not doing too well, lucky I have enough seeds to replace. My tomatoes are rubbish this year and they have been in the kitchen.  No drought here in not so sunny Enfield today, thunder storms, water butts overflowing, how much rain do we want. Will plant again in May, after my holiday at the end of April.

bedrockdave

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 21:24:43 »
we're in the valleys not too far from you and started about a month ago ,also in an unheated g h ,Everything fine apart from toms which are a bit slow but have germinated fine

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 08:14:24 »
Yes agreed go go go

I also have a mini greenhouse inside my big greenhouse with the cover on i live north of you in Lancaster and my tomatoes have been in this minig for a month with no problems through the frosts.My sweetcorn melons and cukes germinated fine to.

Go for it and good luck.
No reason that things sown now wont catch up quickly anyway!
x sunloving

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 12:12:38 »
I think it's all to do with just how much warmth your growing spot/s have.

I have a 10' lean-to greenhouse and, despite it's size and the space, I hardly ever use it until the summer is near - it gets only a dash of sun so isn't that warm.

I also have a tiny lean-to greenhouse (if you can call it that). It's 6' by 2.5' at the other end of the garden and wonderfully warm so my plants are crammed in there during the day.

Finding the right spot is not easy.

My father had a lean-to greenhouse at his previous home - always wonderfully warm as the sun streamed in from early morning. It's lovely having him and my mother living opposite (so much easier to care for them) but I do miss the use of their greenhouse..... now sitting empty.  ::)

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 16:01:04 »
we are in a very sunny spot in sw and I can`t hold anything back!!  Everything is out in unheated pvc and polycarb greenhouses. Fleece is always handy and I am covering everything on some nights but tbh even chillis and tomatoes are thriving and they are big and strong and will flower imminently. Dwarf peas outside are 9" tall and have started climbing and the strawberries are covered in flowers and there are even some baby fruits

I can`t hold on for much longer and I am going to have to get the tomatoes into final positions soon but even I am baulking at the fully outdoor ones being set in position yet. I am running out of protective space  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal