Author Topic: Water barrels/butts etc  (Read 2969 times)

mentallot

• Half Acre
Water barrels/butts etc
« on: April 17, 2012, 15:48:21 »
Hi all
having been totally unable to source via freecycle or freegle, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on getting hold of water butts or similar ? Slightly reluctant to cough up lots of cash, and no sign of farmers with spare ones to sell for £10 delivered (as seen in a previous post a while back !)

ps - peterborough, if you are that farmer :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Water barrels/butts etc
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 16:08:50 »
We got one lot from a firm called patak's, they get mango chutney in them, smell lovely. The other 50, we got old wheelie bins from the council tip, just rang and asked, we had to hire a van to pick them up, most have no wheels on and there are a couple with splits but the sound ones work great  ;D

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 16:58:34 »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230777493705?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

They are going for silly money right now on ebay because of the hosepipe ban but you could keep your eye on it - use Sort By: Distance, nearest first to find something close to you.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 17:27:03 »
Anyone who needs to transport water to their plot, Greenfingers have some 20l collapsable water carriers for about £5.50.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 18:03:33 »
You could give a call for some golf courses in you area...ask for head greenkeeper and explain that you are after those big barrells that some liquid turf treatments and wetting agents come in...perharps they don't have any use for them and are willing to let you to get rid for them or ask them to save those when they do empty them..even better if they will come free.. ;)

Not all golf courses do buy them in that quantities..but worth of try. Fortunately I work for golf course and able to take the empty ones away..though you have to be able to be quick..there is always takers for them.

sarahbell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 21:47:14 »
Been told car washes have the blue ones. They'd need a wash though.

Got one off freecycle ..

Have been cheeky and written to a couple of local companies and asked them for nations.
No luck with that yet.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 22:53:29 »
Try your Local council for scrapped wheelie bins..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

sarahbell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 10:49:05 »
 "Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately Oldham Council do not issue bins for purposes other than waste collection. If you have any further enquiries then please do not hesitate to contact us."

Dads Army

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 19:50:15 »
If any one lives in norfolk go to Banham zoo market its between Thetford and Diss. And is open  every sunday. I got myself two 150 lt barrels with tapes and lids for £10 each. The barrels had held ginger in the past, but they are washed and clean, a real good buy. Ps dont go if raining because the owners of the stall wont be there, they dont seem to like rain.

mentallot

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 14:30:11 »
An update - just had 10 * 200 Ltr barrels delivered free for £100 :) via ebay

Think I will halve a couple and leave them open up the side,

taps & water diverter from shed gutter (when I get a shed :)) on some more, maybe feeding each other.

Keep a couple spare so if this rain carries on at least I wll be able to make a raft and float off

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal