Author Topic: Which are the best wine corks?  (Read 4529 times)

Suzie Q

• Not So New ...
Which are the best wine corks?
« on: April 17, 2012, 13:19:08 »
Hi Everyone,

I have just bottled with my new twin handled corker and it was a bit of a disaster!

The corks have mostly not gone in all the way and the plunger has made quite a dent in the top of the corks.  To make matters worse to get the corker off the bottle you have to twist it a bit and that has damages the edge.  It this normal? Something to do with the corks?

I have always used a hand corker but thought as I cranked up production to a higher level I would invest in a piece of smart new kit. 

Does anyone have any tips?  I have now slightly increased plunger depth but that is also not helping the tip damage.

The corks were meant to be premium coated and therefore best to use??/Anything better out there?  I am intending on aging some of the wine so I would like good quality cork as a replacement.

Thanks

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Which are the best wine corks?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 14:01:57 »
For corks, I use premium normal ones (not coated) and a wooden corker - works fine but most of the time I use screw caps or plastic corks as it doesn't hang around for long!

Disappointing to get a new bit of kit that isn't very good!

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 22:16:43 »
I've been using cheapos plus hand corker and never had any problems. Always soaked them in boiling water for half an hour and they go in perfectly and quickly. Get mine from thethriftyshopper.co.uk, now homebrewsupermarket.co.uk, I think. They are cork.

Very happy with them.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 22:18:40 »
Did you soak the corks?

They don't always go all the way in, it depends on the bottles. I think I have the same corker (red) and don't think that will be the issue.

Suzie Q

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 17:05:09 »
Update on corks,  have taken then handcorker back and upgrade to a floor corker - they go in a treat now, all the way in and they are level which they weren't with the hand machine.

Regarding the corks they had a silicone coating and the HomeBrew shop owner advised to NOT soak as this would ruin the coating.  Just a quick run under the tap to get rid of any dust.

I think I will be using the 'to be soaked' in future!  Thanks for the advice,  will look on homebresupermarket for a bargin as have now got two thirty bottle kits to bottle and an lovely dried elderberry to lay down!

Thanks

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 16:36:38 »
Just for anyone looking...
I use mostly plastic re-useable corks...theyre no fuss do the same job (if not better) and are cheap as chips.....
I suppose if you want to 'show' your wine , then you need to cork it with the real thing, but is there a reason to do that from the off?....for shows you could always choose your wine,bottle and remove the plastic one and cork up for the bench....who is to know..
I have lots of bottles which have been under plastic corks for several years with NO problems at all, though most of my wine gets drunk fairly quickly...I keep a 200 bottle cellar of the stuff so I do know whereof I speak!
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 19:13:12 »
I always use 'favourite' corks, pick them up on Ebay for a couple of quid. Never had any trouble.
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal