Author Topic: Tablet PCs  (Read 3695 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Tablet PCs
« on: January 05, 2012, 12:26:08 »
Been thinking recently about trying one of these out. I do most of my computing on a desktop PC as a laptop is unsuitable for the kind of things i like to do on a PC, However i often find myself wanting to look something up on the net while watching TV or go on Twitter and its a bit of a pain, as well as antisocial, to go upstairs to do so and by the time i get the chance to get upstairs i have usualy forgotten what it is i want to look up or tweet on. A laptop would be excessive so though maybe a tablet would be the answer. Thing is i havent much of a clue what to go for, there seems to be so many different brands/models out there . Not even sure which size or spec would be best.

Any advice would be apreciated. Thanks.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
Re: Tablet PCs
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 12:56:56 »
i have a acer desk top and allso a netbook wich is not as bulky as a lap top

jim

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 13:03:54 »
Another vote here for a netbook, I have a Samsung which is fab for doing the things you describe. I would buy a tablet if I had the money, I just love how the ipad looks, but is it just that I have been sucked in by the hype?

Bet someone will have more to say in favour of them!

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 13:14:17 »
I saw an article recently on the kindle fire, it's a small tablet at 7inches.
They seem to be selling like hotcakes at only $199!
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Amazon-Tablet/dp/B0051VVOB2
I am considering getting one, but would need to have a go before doing so, to see what it's like.
People are buying this instead of ipads, as it's a hell of a lot cheaper and does more.
I'm not sure if it supports flash though.

I just had a check on the UK price, but it's not available here yet and there seems to be some controversy as to whether the apps will work outside the USA.

Might be worth hanging on if they are as good as they seem.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 13:25:16 »
I have an iPad and I cant stand the thing.  I use my PC or laptop or even my smartphone in preference.  It is useful for a quick web lookup - receipes etc - but they are damned expensive if you just use them for that.  
I really like the look of the new ASUS terminator with the attachable keyboard but they are expensive as well.  
The kindle Fire is good and cheapbut it is ultimately a hobbled device designed only to consume more Amazon products - It does not offer you full access to all Andriod apps - but if all you want is the internet it may be fine.
If I had to go for a tablet now I would probably go for a Samsung Galaxy but frankly they are too expensive to justify it - if all you want to do is browse the web all these are a bit of a waste of money.  I'd go for a cheap Android tablet or...
Go here and look at the price of netbooks or small screen laptops.  
http://www.europc.co.uk/laptops-1.html 
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 13:28:45 »
I use an ipad.

I find it handy to browse during the adverts on TV.

Plus I have been known to take it down to the allotments as a reference book!

I have an ipad 1 (32gb)

I don't have the 3g model which allows you to use it outdoors unless you can find a wi-fi signal to link to.

My son & daughter and a few friends have wi-fi in there house so I find this meets my needs without having to pay for 3g

By all accounts the Mk2 is better, but as I see it the main difference is it is supposedly a bit faster and has a camera.

So now that Apple has made my model 'obsolete' by issuing the Mk 2 and the fact that  they may be fetching out a Mk3 this year, you might be able to pick up a Mk1 quite cheaply!

I just love the convenience my pad gives!

I hope this bit of feedback helps with your decision making...Tg

dtw

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 01:45:18 »
One thing you need to be aware of when buying an ipad is that it won't run adobe flash.
Which is the main use of animation in websites.
so the majority of websites will be very limited to just pictures and text.
The ipads could have really taken off if they paid adobe the license to use it, but they are too pig-headed and insist on keeping their incompatibility going.

Ruth Rocket

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 11:41:56 »
I have a netbook and an iPad 2 3G andi sooooooo love my iPad xxx awesome xxx

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 13:13:25 »
The ipads could have really taken off if they paid adobe the license to use it, but they are too pig-headed and insist on keeping their incompatibility going.

Over 25 million in less than 2 years isn't exactly something to be sniffed at. I think!!! (and over 75% of tablet sales.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 13:36:32 »
My Grandson (16) got an ipad2 from his parents as one of his Christmas presents. When he had voiced that he would like one my daughter said Can't see what the fuss is about". Then she had a play with Joshua's ipad loved it and went out next day and bought herself one!!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 13:55:58 »
Thanks for replies. Food for thought there. Sorry to say im not much clearer on what to do. I one thing i do know is that any tablet i buy will not be an Ipad. Wasnt keen before due to cost (ipads and Ipods are way over priced IMHO). Quite keen on Archos as a brand but seen mixed reviews on Amazon about their tablets.

Any Thoughts?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 15:32:18 »
I prefer a laptop as it has a built in CD-ROM drive.  Whats the point of a tablet/netbook then paying extra for an add-on.  With the laptop its all in one, portable and wi-fi.  Not much larger than a netbook  but offers so much capability. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

jules2

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 17:42:15 »
I have a netbook and an iPad 2 3G andi sooooooo love my iPad xxx awesome xxx

You and me both it's completely changed the way I operate.

It's not just the access to emails websites etc but also the "apps" such as BBC Iplayer the British Museum library and access to 1000's of radio stations around the world

3G is useful if you travel around and currently it's costing me around £3 per month on pay as you go as I don't download on 3G just access my emails.

It all depends want you want of you are not interested in taking it with you or 24 hours access a laptop would be just as good

phlips66

• Half Acre
  • st-albans herts
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 18:17:06 »
just bought myself and partner an e pad it is the chinese copy of the i pad
it has a 7inch screen and runs all the android apps it may not have all the fetures thathe i pad has
but for around £60 they are good for web browsing e mail facebook and twitter all from your armchair,
 still like to use my laptop aswell

dtw

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 11:34:30 »
I picked up an Archos Arnova 10inch tablet at an auction for £50!
It's great for playing films in HD and games like Angry Birds.
Quite good at browsing too, and supports flash (unlike ipads).
Typing anything more than passwords is a pain, but for documents I would
use my laptop anyway.
Very processor intensive and memory hungry facebook games like castleville
it attempts to run, but doesn't finish loading the screen fully.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal