Author Topic: 5 minute bread recipe  (Read 6199 times)

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
5 minute bread recipe
« on: April 12, 2012, 13:32:56 »
It is true 5 minute bread recipe, after failing so badly with the sour dough :-[, I thought I would give this a try ??? anyway it really really works and on every type (GrannyJanny could even work on your gluten free bread? well worth a try :))

Here goes: This makes a nice size loaf not too big and not too small.

450g bread flour (I do 200g wholemeal and 250g white)
1 sachet of yeast (or tablespoon)
1 tablespoon of sea salt (half tablespoon of table)
3/4 pint (think 375ml) of luke warm water (if you put your fingers in it you can't feel the water? it works!)

Mix dry ingredients in bowl add the water mix with a spatula until it's all mixed together (at this stage if it looks a bit wet add a bit more flour) cover with loose cover (boots shower caps 3 for £1.20) put in the fridge overnight.

Next morning shape it but do not handle for more than 60 seconds and let it prove for 30 minutes put in over at 200c and bake for 30 minutes or until it sounds hollow.

Please will someone else try it and let me know how they get on ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: 5 minute bread recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 13:40:24 »
Thank you Gadget. I've bought some spelt flour but in the breadmaker it comes out as a brick. I'll give it a try & will report back.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 14:50:18 »
This is more or less how I make bread, but I triple the quantity and use 2 sachets of quick yeast and five teaspoons of table salt, so I can testify it works (but with the extra quantities it take a bit more than 5 minutes. I have been heard to boast that starting from scratch I can have three loaves rising in their tins within 20 minutes).

Usually I put it straight into three tins, let it rise, bake it a few hours later. Quite often I leave it in the fridge instead (overnight and for up to a week!)

I might bake 2 loaves and make the occasional flatbread in a frying pan with the remaining fridge dough until it is used up.

However, meeting sour dough bread for the first time is putting me into quite a different routine!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 19:03:30 »
Great base recipe Gadget,easy to follow and one ive used many a time.

I tend to use live yeast though as it seems to produce a much lighter mix quickly and after 60 mins proving ..after a quick knock back im cooking breakfast rolls...that said,dried yeast is a saviour many times.

As long as Good Ol Tesco keep giving me 100g free every few days  ill keep using it.

Gazza

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 15:50:13 »
Gazza out of interest how much live yeast do you use?  :) and you used this for all your variations aswell?

One thing I found out is not to use the fast action dried yeast even though it does work but not as well as non fast action stuff??

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 17:14:41 »
If you're using spelt flour don';t use more than about 30% in the mix or it will be the aforementioned building product.... I used to make one that was 50% strong white, 25% strong wholemeal and 25% spelt adn it was lovely that was in a kenwood breadmaker... these days I tend to use the multiseed instead of the spelt....

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 18:00:34 »
Thanks Chris, I don't know how I'll do it then. We are both gluten intolerant but OH loves spelt bread & is OK with it but at £1.70 a loaf I would love to be able to make it. A friends dad makes it all spelt. I think he gives it 3 provings though & has a bread cloche. I am so envious. I have to have Genius bread & buy that when it's reduces, otherwise it's £3. a loaf ::).

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 20:15:17 »
a 7g dried yeast = 15 g  live so I stick to that format.

The majority of the bread I make....and batch of rolls has 20 grms of live yeast.

Gazza

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 13:03:41 »
thanks Gazza i remember that basically double it plus one  :) cool.

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 09:24:13 »
Hi
Tried this recipe made it all last night, fridge over night then shaped,left for 30mins and cooked for about 45mins, But as with all my bread it comes out doughy but a lovly golden colour on top  :( :(
Please help what am i doing wrong :(

Thanks Steve.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 11:38:49 »
"...comes out doughy but a lovely golden colour on top..."

Just in case it helps, I turn my loaves out of their tins and put them back in the oven upside down on a baking sheet for 10 minutes or so, otherwise they can be a bit doughy. It also toasts the sesame seeds I line the tins with, and they taste delicious.

My husband makes bread, but he does not do this final step, and his bread is always soggy inside. He says he likes it like that, but I'm afraid I don't.

Gadget

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 11:44:00 »
I would agree with Artichoke, to take out of the tin, also if you feel that the dough is a bit too wet then add more flour so that it is a little stiffer or playing around with the rising times.  I did a loaf when I got home and didn't put it in the fridge it went mad, but once I contained it with more flour and let it rise again for another 20 minutes, I baked it and it was fine.

Need to experiment a bit to see what suits.
 :)

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 12:36:51 »
Thanks for the advise will give it another go, will try a dryer mix and the tip it out and turn it over method

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal