Author Topic: BBC Iplayer  (Read 3066 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
BBC Iplayer
« on: June 28, 2012, 17:52:54 »
So I want  to watch carol kirkwood and hacker the puppet, a bit childish.  So I go to the bbc iplayer and it says install flash.  I install flash, and go back to the iplayer and it says install flash.  Decide to reboot, reinstall flash.  Still no go on the iplayer.

Does anyone please know what I am doing wrong.

retro

• Not So New ...
Re: BBC Iplayer
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 20:46:12 »
Are you using a PC with Windows, as opposed to an Apple Mac?  If so, what version of Windows are you using?

Do you have a firewall installed?  If so, what firewall?  If you have an Internet Security Suite (Norton, McAfee etc.), or have just removed one, mention that.

What browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome etc.) are you using?

If you are using Google Chrome, you shouldn't have any Flash issues.

Go here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

That will give the answers to the above questions if you don't know.  It will also tell you whether Flash Player is correctly installed. 

I assume you are using the online iPlayer at www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer and not the iPlayer Desktop from http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/install ?  You could always try the desktop.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 21:53:05 »
PC laptop with windows 7.

Had been unticking chrome box but have that now, still no videos.

Internet explorer 9, changed from 64 bit to normal one

Tried to install iplayer desktop, guess what need - flash.

Norton ok about Flash gets the green tick.

Tried the uninstall and then reinstalled still no videos.

I think something is wrong with the bbc

retro

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 09:36:56 »
I have no problem with iPlayer, nor have I over the past week.  In fact, I'm listening to Radio 2 right now through it! ;)

What did you get on the Adobe link I gave you?  If you scroll down that page, there's a troubleshooting section - try going through those options.

Chrome has Flash built in and it should work - if it doesn't work in Chrome even, then it sounds like something is blocking it. 

You could try disabling your Norton Firewall.  I have actually seen corrupt installs of Norton and McAfee, and also bad uninstalls, that have caused web pages not to work!  I don't advocate Norton, it's horrible software, but if you want to use it, you'll have to verify that it's not the cause of the problem.  Disabling it temporarily should do that :)  It could even be that something is blocking you from installing Flash successfully (again, the link I gave you will tell you if it's successfully installed).

I would try this first:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

Uninstalling this way may solve the issue ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 12:12:56 »
Many many thanks.  Went through all the trouble shooting on the link you provided.

I have now removed my active x filter.  So now it is fine.

retro

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 03:44:32 »
You're welcome!  Glad you got it sorted.  It sounded like something was blocking it for whatever reason - basically overzealous protection!

Yes, ActiveX settings can cause issues when they get out of whack!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 07:21:35 »
What I found difficult was that the solution was so easy yet it was so difficult to find it.

I have managed to change my internet settings and install funmoods on the way round which is very annoying.  When I opened a new internet window I  was offered my most used sites and that has disappeared. 

Now in an attempt to get rid of funmoods I have got stopzilla.  Now I need to find how to get rid of that.

I do hate things that take over my computer.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 08:03:40 »
Strangely I have never spotted the activex filter in IE until yesteday when our theatre management site failed to load for one or two users.
They had been "playing" with settings!   Joy...  At least having read this I didn't waste hours chasing dead ends - you learn summat everyday!!

What happens when you try to remove stopzilla?? - http://www.ehow.com/how_5043148_remove-stopzilla.html may be of help...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal