Author Topic: B&Q seedling compost  (Read 8952 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
B&Q seedling compost
« on: April 04, 2012, 19:06:50 »
This year I couldn't get my tomatoes to germinate. It was 4 different varieties, so I don't think it could be the seeds. They were warm, and covered with see-through plastic. Normally the germination rate is so high for toms. In the end 3 germinated out of about 20. So I sowed again a few weeks later - nothing again.

I started to wonder if it was the compost (B&Q seedling compost) so I got a different one... waiting anxiously now.

Has anyone else ever had that?

boydzfish

• Half Acre
Re: B&Q seedling compost
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 20:06:03 »
Funnily enough I had a similar problem with a pack of John Innes compost a couple of years back. You would think that was good stuff. The local Household Recycling centre does its own at a good price I am thinking of getting a bag to try.

This year I seem to have masses of compost, still better than not enough!! ;D
Boydzfish

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 20:13:56 »
I find many seed compost too heavy and usually do my own. Just ordinary multipurpose sieved into fine 'crumb' mixed with some vermiculate.
I have found in past that even little bit added soil based stuff in seed compost and the germination with chillies and toms is not so great...I'm convinced that it is the 'weight' issue.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 22:03:01 »
I "chit" my tommie seeds first and put them in compost mised with vermiculite.  Does okay for me

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 22:05:21 »
I've paid top whack this year for my seeding compost, Ok it does the job but it is still full of bloody twigs :),

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 22:17:51 »
For my tomatoes and cucumbers I mix sieved compost (Wickes) with perlite or sand. I use vermiculite as a fine covering over the seeds of tomatoes.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

naff

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 23:16:59 »
I buy my seed from Real Seeds and have followed their advice with great results. I use B+Q seed compost but germinate at much higher temperatures than normal 25/28C as per Real Seeds instructions. I do, however use a purpose built "germinator" for doing so, using a 6mtr soil warming cable and thermostat inside a well insulated 800mm x 450mm frame with foil backed bubble wrap over the lidded trays. My Tom's/Peppers and Chillies(sown in early February) are now over 300mm high without being "leggy". After initial potting on they are grown on at about 10C(no thermostat) on the heated bench(600mm tubular heater under the bench). Costs are minimal,germination is indoors about 0.09 pence hour, greenhouse bench about 1.02 pence hour. So far (5 yrs) 97% germination/growing on/harvest. All electricals sourced on ebay, installed by self (qualified). This year will go solar 12volt and heat whole greenhouse, will also go solar 12 volt for house heating pump and lighting. Panels ,lighting and inverters are becomong cheaper by the day.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 05:46:38 »
I've used Erin compost this year after Shirl recommended it and have had practically 100% germination for everything I've sown.  I always sieve the compost but don't add anything to it.  I start seeds off in a heated propagator.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 08:01:27 »
I've had a complete fail from my Prisma shallots this year adn they're normally very reliable. Packets were in date, not this years but not opened either adn not a thing out of 25 or 30 modules with a couple of seeds in each.... all around them other shallots and onions have done fine...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 09:34:18 »
We're trying cocoa shell 'bricks' this year, really good for seeds but rubbish for potting on. I add vermiculite to it to lighten it up and have started adding seaweed for potting on, still doesn't feed them enough  :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 11:07:25 »
Well weirdly the B&Q compost seemed lovely - light and fine, whereas the John Innes I bought from the other shop was full of stones and what seemed like lumps of clay. So I seived it but even so it's quite heavy. And still nothing so I'm starting to wonder whether there is something wrong with the seeds. I'll give it a few more days though. I cleaned the pots thoroughly too.

Always thought tomatoes were foolproof. (I'm obviously more of a fool than I thought!)

I'll look into getting vermiculite. And I wondered about chitting, but I fear I would find it hard to keep whatever I chitted them in moist, whereas soil holds its moisture well. Maybe I should try it.

Thanks for the advice folks

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 11:26:41 »
I tried the B&Q seed compost once a few years ago but it was terrible.

It was a very fine compost, but I think too fine. Might be good for when you have very fine seeds that you germinate on the surface.

I know lots of people have said the B&Q MP compost is rubbish, but I find it is good for starting seeds once you have sieved the lumps out.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 14:41:35 »
John Innes seed compost is soil based and it is far too 'robust' stuff for tomatoes...that's my experience, not what they say in the bag.
I would use JI for kind of seeds that could be sown straight to ground as well.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 19:23:43 »
I have had very good results with b and q compost this year and everything has germinated. I pre-wet from the bottom and sieve a fine layer of sieved vermiculite over the top, which I then mist with water. I don`t tend to firm the compost much, just sweeping my hand over the top to remove big bits. The toms went into a covered propagator with a temperature of 22 and they were up in a week

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 15:11:01 »
Interesting that most people avoid JI, I deliberately add it (No 1) to my seedling mix as I find the multipurpose dries out too fast for my liking and have never had any germination issues with tomatoes. I do add vermilculite as well though! I add No. 3 to potting on mix too....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 22:03:22 »
I have been trying to find contact locations at Wickes and B& Q so that I can submit a complaint.

I have found one for Wickes but not B&Q ( but will keep looking)

Have a look at the reviews here

http://www.wickes.co.uk/multi-purpose-compost/invt/200246/

Do we believe them or is this just a PR exercise
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 22:07:20 by Tee Gee »

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 23:26:27 »
It turned out it was my seeds - so apologies to B&Q  :-[ I tried chitting them and they were dead as dodos.

Oh well, there's always next year, and the home-saved seeds and the Tigerella have germinated, so i won't be tomato-less.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 08:24:34 »
Wickes MP Compost now has a 1-star rating on its website.

Credit to Wickes for their honesty, even if the MP compost is rubbish.

Response from Wickes:

By Wickes Gardening Team, 10 April 2012

PLEASE NOTE - ALL PREVIOUS REVIEWS HAVE BEEN REMOVED AS THEY REFER TO LAST YEAR'S COMPOST WHICH HAD A DIFFERENT SPECIFICATION.

In the interest of fairness, we have removed all old reviews that refer to the 'old-style' Wickes Multi-Purpose Compost that is no longer available.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 08:40:04 »
With regard to TG's post about Wickes claim that their new compost is a hi-tech product, well who cares?  It might be made by a fancy process but it is not suitable for seeds and seedlings by their own admission - so it's not Multipurpose DUH!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 08:43:34 »
Wickes compost is full of hedge clippings.  It does not hold water well and once dry is difficult to remoisten.  IT is certainly not fit for purpose.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal