Author Topic: Which plot  (Read 6715 times)

swampyseifer

• Not So New ...
Which plot
« on: April 03, 2012, 13:31:18 »
Hey all...

Joined a few days ago...just made a "hello" post in the "shed" but I have a question already, been reading the wiki and stuff and cant see much about it but sorry if its been done before...

Basically we are being given the choice of a plot...only going for a 5 pole atm as we dont want to overwhelm ourselves.  Plus I was informed by the parish council person that a 5pole is 130 sq yards....which is huge, I'm wondering if she means 130yards square!

Is there a "good choice" of plot?  Ya know, obviously I'll avoid ones with 8 feet deep brambles or whatever but is there anything I should look for that should turn me off/on?

Thanks

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Which plot
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 13:49:12 »
Welcome to A4A.  How nice to have a choice of plots.  I think I would ask about as to which plot to take. 

5 poles is 130 sq yards which is for example 10 yards by 13 yards. 

swampyseifer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 13:58:54 »
Welcome to A4A.  How nice to have a choice of plots.  I think I would ask about as to which plot to take. 

5 poles is 130 sq yards which is for example 10 yards by 13 yards. 

Thanks

Yes, we are being "shown the ropes" by one of the allotment caretakers, so I suppose they would have a good idea...I was just worried they might try to offload a bad patch in the hopes we make it nicer!

Oh right, sorry...I was awful at maths at school...I assumed a SQUARE yardage would need to be SQUARE?  So the same length on all sides!!

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 13:59:09 »
As Diaeroo says 130 sq yards is 130 squares each 1 yard square
130 yards square is a field  :-X

Hard to say which plot with out seeing, but things to look at are:

Nearest Water
State of adjacent plots, nice plots probably means nice neighbours
Is it shaded?
Are there any boggy bits?
Does it already have a shed?
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

swampyseifer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 14:08:05 »
Ah right, so its me confusing square yards and yards squared!  Like I say, bad at maths  ;D

A pre-existing shed would be nice!

I will certainly be taking pictures of the plot we end up taking, so I can upload those tomorrow night maybe!  Be nice to do anyway just so I can have a before/after type shot

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 14:36:28 »
As said:  near to water supply, helpful neighbours, crops still planted, shows you what not to plant in the same place and might even be edible, not to overgrown, get info from other lottie holders.   :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 15:11:34 »
Look whats growing on it. Does it have mares tail or bindweed. Definitely near to a tap . Welcome to A4A swampy
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 21:18:11 »
Check buildings or other shade (for instance trees or a tall hedge) nearby... you don't want them south of you whereas north of you they are a real boon... closest water (as others have said), useful infrastructure... a shed is nice if you live a distance away, not to leave stuff in (though it's handy) but as a place to get out of the weather if you get caught by a shower... also a path made of something inert and long-lasting like paving slabs running front to back is useful... if it forms boundary with neighbours then it marks it well without needing a fence (which you will find is a weed trap) but also on my own plot I get the benefit of a 2 foot wide path (big enough for a wheelbarrow) for 1 foot of width. If you've got a shed then a waterbutt to catch the water off it is very useful... up as high as you can and more than one isn't mad... I've seen them where the guy had four butts spaced down the plot all linked by blue pipe mounted at tap level.... meant he had easy water everywhere on his plot but to refill all of them in dry spells all he had to do was to put water in the one closest to the communal trough..... which gives me an evil idea.....

Present state of the plot I would count less than the location and major infrastructure like shed or path, you can always dig the stuff out.... it's taken me a couple of years to pretty much eradicate marestail in the garden... keep[ pulling it out whenever you see it ... it dies eventually....  is there easy car access (if you hae a car).... being able to unload heavy things like bags of compost or trailerloads of manure right onto the plot is a boon...

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 21:24:12 »
Also take some photos and look at it at home in the cold light of day you can get very rosy spec about the plots when your on site :)

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 22:06:36 »
Try and find the plot on google earth,it isnt exactly up to date so you will see how the plot was kept in the past and plan out what you could do with it yourself  :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 08:48:13 »
That is about the same size as mine. It can be a bit of work, but once you have put in some permanent crops like fruit bushes, rhubarb etc. and get some spuds planted, it becomes much more manageable. I work it on my own and I put in a few hours a week, and an occasional all-day blitz, that's all. (Have a look on my blog, see my signature, if you want to get an idea of how much it will grow.)
Water proximity is a necessity.

The first year, I had trouble planting it over completely as I was inexperienced. But if you are concerned at having it look "full" as soon as possible, get on plenty of squash (pumpkins) and courgettes in summer and it will soon be less work!
Have fun.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

swampyseifer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 15:20:56 »
Thanks for all the replies!

Well we met up with one of the caretakers today, only had a choice of 5 plots or so all in the same area...so we did pick one.

It doesnt have any natural shade or an old shed/greenhouse, but it also isnt overgrown.  Few weeds here and there but no brambles or anything nasty like that.  Also the plot next to it has only recently been taken over so itll be good to have someone who would have just gone through what we would be!

Also there is space to pull the call up right next to the plot and there is also a water tap literally opposite the plot.

I've linked into a googlemaps which should show it...the map is a little out of date and for some reason it opens the map too far to the right...so go left a little bit!  Our plot is around where the white greenhouse tunnel thing....the corner opposite is where the water tap is

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Stacey+Avenue,+Stony+Stratford,+Milton+Keynes&hl=en&ll=52.058392,-0.804464&spn=0.000924,0.002722&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.432157,44.604492&oq=stacey+aven&hnear=Stacey+Ave&t=h&z=19

I'll be getting some pics of the plot later today...

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 16:37:10 »
It's nice to take photos same time every month for comparison - it's good to look back on how you've progressed and the different seasons.

swampyseifer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 09:33:56 »
Well here is a photo of the plot...I'll get a better one when we go down and mark out the boundary tomorrow.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii137/swampyseifer/allotment/20120404_180447.jpg

We're looking to see if we can borrow a scythe of someone we know to make light work of the long grass and then we were planning on skimming off the top inch or two and then rotovate it.  Although we're only going to concentrate on a smallish patch to start with, just so we can get some tatties in to break up the soil
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:37:13 by swampyseifer »

DawnF

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 23:34:03 »
Hi swampyseifer.
I am also on Stacey allotments... look forward in seeing you there !

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 07:54:08 »
A lovely bare canvas ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 09:19:30 »
Personally I wouldn't rotovate it - any nasty perennials (thistles, bindweed, couch, etc) will get chopped up and you'll have a lovely crop of fresh young ones. 

Whatever you do - enjoy it. We love ours, the perfect bolt hole from the stresses of work. Half an hour pottering/watering on an early summer's evening and the troubles of the day drift away.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 12:16:41 »
Personally I wouldn't rotovate it - any nasty perennials (thistles, bindweed, couch, etc) will get chopped up and you'll have a lovely crop of fresh young ones. 

Whatever you do - enjoy it. We love ours, the perfect bolt hole from the stresses of work. Half an hour pottering/watering on an early summer's evening and the troubles of the day drift away.

Does depend on how aggressive you get withit... I took on an plot last year that I didn't have tiem to dig properly so I rotovated it three times, spread a load of manure, rotovated that in, put ridges into most of it and planted spuds, the rest got some ratehr tatty weed fabric adn I planted squashes through that. The spud ridges then got covered in cardboard and backfilled with manure... end result is there aren't a lot of weeds there this year and it's way easier to dig..... And I've still got loads of squashes left in store and I'm just reachign the end of the spuds....

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 14:03:31 »
Code: [Select]
Personally I wouldn't rotovate it - any nasty perennials (thistles, bindweed, couch, etc) will get chopped up and you'll have a lovely crop of fresh young ones.I used to think along that line too...but..after giving it a good old 'thought' having to face weedy situation myself on a plot..if the ground is not been used for a while..the ground is bound to be compacted..there is no way getting all roots intact anyway. By time you have given the clumps of soil some welly and back of spade..all the roots would have snapped into million pieces anyway... ::)
It is far easier to do weeding on the ground that has loose, rotavated soil than keep whacking it clump by clump with the spade. Back breaking job.
It is true that new weeds will pop up everywhere if they they've been rotavated in and potentially making the situation worst..but keeping top of them is easier and providing you are keeping top of them, much easier task... ;)
I would just dig the most obvious ones out..like brambles and dogweed ..thisles, couch, and bidweed roots as such are trouble that you don't get rid of them in 1 go or even 3..they will take time..and time is better spent this time of the year after initial weed removal by getting crops in while the soil is moist enough.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 14:11:06 by goodlife »

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 20:35:23 »
I rotavate my plot. Weeding when you rotavate requires an  entirely  different strategy to hand digging.

I smother the plot with plastic. That kills everything on top except the nettles and the tap roots. You pull off the plastic, then go round with a fork, digging them out. When I have cleared them, then I go round with the rotavator.

You MUST avoid chopping up taps and nettles, its spreads them like mad. Smothering the land reveals where they all are. The other problem is couch grass, that also needs taking out by hand, but its not as  bad as the others,  just keep your eyes open as you rotavate, and pick the fragments up as they appear.

Rotovating is not any less work then hand digging. The difference is that it doesnt do your back in, and you get about ten times the area done for the same effort.

The other point about this is to rotavate when you start using the bed, and rotavate when your done, and smother over winter. Dont allow it to compact down. To that end i break up my temporary paths with a fork just before smothering and let the winter do the rest.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 20:38:53 by lincsyokel2 »
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal