Author Topic: Polytunnel Paths  (Read 2357 times)

marcofez

• Not So New ...
Polytunnel Paths
« on: April 06, 2012, 20:30:38 »
Hi, I've just finished putting my 1st ever polytunnel up but i'm ummming and ahhhing about whether to have a path straight down the middle or around the sides with a big bed in the middle. What works for you all to maximise growing space? Its 22ft long by 12ft wide and 8ft tall.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Polytunnel Paths
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 20:39:12 »
Don't know if you can see this properly, ours is 30'x10. We have 2' paths, a 2'6" bed all along one side and 5' 6" x4' beds separated by an 18" path along the other side  :)
This is one of the 5' beds inside
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 20:42:16 by manicscousers »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 20:43:42 »
The best growing space is in the middle with the maximum height..but would you have room to walk by or work without bending double if the paths would be around the sides.. :-\
You do waste less groud to paths with having only one going down the middle.
Or..perharps having off centre?..having one side bigger bed for tall plats like toms and cucs and other side narrower bed for bit smaller plants like chillies and peppers?..what are you planning to grow there?

Do you need to have permanent path in there as yet? Maybe having a temperary one would do in first year and it gives you chance to 'test drive' your tunnel and see what you need.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 23:56:31 »
Two 2 foot paths, two two foot beds on the outside adn one four foot be in the middle.... TOmatoes in the  middle with cukes and melons, peppers in staggered rows down outside....  that is a monster, slightly bigger in all dimensions than my greenhouse in fact.... wow.....

marcofez

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 15:08:42 »
I'm gonna go for a big bed in the middle and round the sides. When finished, hope to post a photo up. Thanks everyone. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal