Author Topic: My plot in Spain  (Read 5470 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
My plot in Spain
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:40:03 »
I just noticed that the Google Map of our area has been updated although I think the photo is still nearly two years old. If anyone is interested they can see it here http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Granyanella,+Spain&hl=en&ll=41.649593,1.227427&spn=0.001461,0.003484&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=50.291089,114.169922&oq=granyanella,+spain&t=h&hnear=Granyanella,+Lerida,+Catalonia,+Spain&z=19

It's the rectangle in the centre of the map. You can see the paths are white, that's the soil "bleached" by the sun, the pond is at the front of the plot with the shed to its right. The chicken run and greenhouse are at the other end. I think the photo was probably taken in August / September.

Does anyone have a drier looking plot?  ;D

By the way, if you scroll a little to the left, you'll see the village we live in, there's about 25 people living here permanently.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: My plot in Spain
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:10:14 »
Very impressive... bit of a slope off to the right!  :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:52:11 »
Lovely situation
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:03:24 »
Things are pretty dry with me but I still have grass and weeds up the paths.  Presume you have to do a lot of watering and mulching. 

There are some nice pics of Granyanella on Google as well.  Is the white bit between you and the shed a road or a dried up river.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:25:29 »
That's right, a lot of mulching and we do have mains water - we did have some rain last week so things are looking a bit greener. The white bits are all stony roads.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 11:23:59 »
This is what it looks like now - I've mulched far more than in previous years and it really seems the way to go here

The biggest failure has been the peas (they should be in the middle of the first picture climbing the fence - expect a thread coming up about that shortly  ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 12:58:17 »
Lovely pics  Lovely plot.

What a difference a year makes.   Last year I was like you mulching mulching mulching and watering.    This year squelching around.   The mulch is harbouring slugs.  And I am really jealous of that sweet corn with tassles on it.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 15:53:29 »
Congratulations, looks splendid.  Guess you need to start peas off very very early for them to succeed, or in autumn perhaps?  When is your first/last frost on average?

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 17:24:16 »
Must be so different than here, but I see the same plants and a greenhouse and poly tunnel.

forgive my ignorance but what crops do you grow in them?

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 17:48:34 »
My wife has taken over the greenhouse - it's mainly flowers in there and stuff to put in the window boxes. The polytunnel was to get an early start...and an extended finish I guess - usual stuff in there though, toms, chillis, aubergines, peppers, cukes, melons - was picking cucumbers and tomatoes 3 weeks before the outdoor ones and if I can stretch it into Autumn the plan is to get a couple more months out of the lottie.

I sowed the peas really early this year so will try overwintering and if that doesn't work will have to give up, well watered, well mulched but they just frazzle - worse than last year. Potatoes have been very poor too, beans have plenty of flowers but nothing to pick yet and all my apricots fell off the tree before ripening. Best year yet for sweetcorn though it seems, down to the advice here really.  I know everyone's having a hard time in the UK this year so I shouldn't complain and just hope things turn round in the next few weeks.

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 17:54:27 »
Of course you will have such differing challanges from what we have!
We can swop a bit of rain for a bit of warmth if you like ;)

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 17:48:26 »
Do you have trouble with that tomato moth?

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 18:34:32 »
Do you have trouble with that tomato moth?
Yep, first year I've had trouble, effected about 25% of the crop so far.

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 19:59:48 »
My daughter and son in law live in La Linea next to Gib and do a little growing and told me of it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal