Author Topic: New raised beds and preservatives  (Read 1327 times)

JENIAN

• Half Acre
New raised beds and preservatives
« on: March 25, 2012, 19:11:44 »
I have just took delivery of 8 x 225 x 35 x 3 m (softwood. not tanalzed) new rejected scaffold boards to make into raise beds. I intend to preserve them with wood preserver then Creosote (all sides).  On the inside, that is in contact with the soil paintingwith bitumin paint for brickwork.  Will this work or any other surgestions welcome.

Ian

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: New raised beds and preservatives
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 19:15:29 »
Dont think they sell creosote any more and what you use does depend on if your planning to garden organically. When i did my beds i did not bother with preserving the wood as i was told the wood would last a good 5 years before showing signs of deterioration. And at that point i might want to reorganise my plot and the cost of the chemicals and the time it would take was more than i had paid for the wood.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 20:00:14 »
It was available on eBay till recently; I believe some people are still selling it. Alternatively, you can get what appears to be a decent substitute.

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 20:20:18 »
As I understand it you can still buy it but have to be licensed to use it
I use old engine oil
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 20:35:42 »
linseed oil?

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 08:18:30 »
My lotty friend bought some creosote last year ,think on internet will ask him ,years ago a old lotty man told my Oh put some creosote on a sticks and put them in between the carotts it keeps the dreaded C/fly away, it worked  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal