Author Topic: Composting Moss  (Read 2422 times)

bluecar

• Acre
Composting Moss
« on: March 25, 2012, 14:14:13 »
Hello All.

I've just scarified the lawn. Can the moss that I've pulled out be composted?

Regards

Bluecar

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Composting Moss
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 17:01:02 »
Yes, as long as you're not using something scary as a lawn product....

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 17:21:19 »
Thanks Chriscross.

No extras added so on to the heap it goes.

Regards

Bluecar

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 14:53:04 »
I do not want to be a wet blanket as they say but when you scarify a lawn without first using a moss killer you tend to spread the moss over a larger area.

Hello All.

I've just scarified the lawn. Can the moss that I've pulled out be composted?

Regards

Bluecar

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 19:45:26 »
I didn't want to use a moss killer in case the grass cuttings, which I use both for compost and mulch, then contained the wrong chemicals. I guess it's a case of watch this (lawn) space. The bare patches will be repaired with a lawn repair kit.

Any other views?

Regards

Bluecar

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 19:58:27 »
Why is the lawn growing moss? It's usually an indication that something's not right.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 22:00:30 »
Hello Robert.

The water table is only a few feet below the surface. About 6 years ago I had a lot of work done to increase the drainage as there were times when the garden flooded. Whilst I think a lot of top soil was added, the lawn soil  is still very wet and appears to be clayish. Last winter the moss seemed to become evasive - I probably should have raked in the Autumn. I'm in the process of raking out, aereating and filling with a compost sand mixture and repairing with lawn seed. I hope this will help.

So yes, there is, if you pardon the pun, an underlying problem with the lawn.

Regards

Bluecar

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 22:14:00 »
Trouble with moss is that it is quite slow to compost. You could you use it as a mulch under some bushes and around the veg. Lay some cardboard or news paper on soil and pile the moss on top of that. It will keep soil nicely moist underneath (if drying out should be a problem with your high water table  ::))
Or you could dry it out and start making lots and lots of hanging baskets using the moss as liner..or use in planters as a layer over the drainage holes to stop compost falling through. Add it into potato trenches..it will decompose underground keeping spuds in cosy environment.. ;D..and some as mulch on surface as well.
There is not much nutrients in moss but will be brilliant if used as 'soil conditioner'...and as the moss mulch dry out in places..you local bird population will love you. They will be keen to take it into their nests as building material.. ;) ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal