Author Topic: Allotment site?  (Read 1917 times)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Allotment site?
« on: March 23, 2012, 23:30:08 »
How easy is it to get new allotments on a green space near where I live? Its next to woodland and housing estates. I dont think its classed as playing fields or anything, although folk do use it.....a lot of motorbikes charging around too.

Do I need to just ask for change of use or is there a special way to approach this?

Thanks for reading :)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Re: Allotment site?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 23:41:29 »
Probably the first question would be, who owns the land Star?

Ninny

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Allotment site?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:07:07 »
If you want to open an allotment site youself on the land then you need to get the land owner's permission for starters.

Is the area within a parish?  The parish council have extensive powers and duties to create new allotment sites.  They have a duty to provide allotments if there is a duty, and they have wide powers to lease or buy land for allotments.  If it's open land it may already be owned by the parish.

If you don't know who owns it you can use the Land Registry search which costs about £5.00.

Creating a new site is relatively simple.  There's never a need for planning permission because allotments is never "development".
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal