Author Topic: THE WORLDS WORSE PIE  (Read 3407 times)

ACE

• Hectare
THE WORLDS WORSE PIE
« on: March 21, 2012, 16:49:58 »
I have just thrown away a pie, this is going to damage my pie eating cred, but it has to be named and shamed. It is the fault of the Yeti, she is on about saving money so she has been going to sainsbury instead of waitrose. Now, jewelry, car, sunglasses, and anything else she wants is not on the list. But it seems my pies are and she has just served up pathetic offering  called   sainsburys classic steak and root vegetable topcrust  pie. Full of tender beef it says on the packet, just a load of tasteless gravy, carrots and gristle, one bit looked like a  cows lughole, not even pastry all round,  just a top crust. How can they call it a pie. I know most of you make your own, but if you are tempted like the silly old moo, even if it is on the bargain shelf, don't buy one, they are rubbish and the full price is £3.45

I'm nearly tempted to move up to the frozen wastelands of the north, at least they know how to make a proper pie Perhaps not, I'll get them by mail order.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: THE WORLDS WORSE PIE
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 16:59:10 »
Once again I agree with ACE.  I make my own with real steak and kidney, but do buy ready made pastry.  Birds Eye pies are dreadful, no chicken, I did ring up and complain as I couldn't find any chicken in mine, but they have improved them now, so they said,  but still only one small piece of chicken.  Not worth buying.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 17:06:25 »
I'd deffo stick a complaint in Ace, fancy nearly wanting to move to the coldlands, your going a bit didlo in your old age.    :o       ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 17:20:27 »
Anything without pastry all round isn't a pie, it's a casserole with a pretentious crouton

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 17:23:28 »
If Waitrose was near enough for me to shop at each week I would not use go anywhere else except Aldi for some  basics.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 18:20:20 »

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 18:42:09 »
one bit looked like a  cows lughole,

Ace, honestly! I was reading this on my phone at the bus stop and burst out laughing! ;D

I've not yet found a shop pie that contains the promised ingredients. 

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 19:51:37 »
Ace if you are up our way on the last Saturday of the month you need to go to Bakewell Farmers Market. There is a stall there called the Rare breed Meat company and their steak pies are totally steak, so much steak there is hardly any room for the pastry. However the pastry itself is also delicous. Not expensive and so full of meat that they last us for two or three meals.
No cows lugholes in sight!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 00:03:12 »
We had a lovely Sainsbury's Steak & Guiness Puff Pastry Pie Monday night. 

We went shopping in Bath following OH's visit to the RUH for radiotherapy. 
I don't normally buy shop pies but we realised that it would be very late when we got home. We wanted something that we could just put in the oven to heat to serve with some steamed baby new potatoes, broccoli and broad beans.  It fitted the bill and was certainly good to eat.   ;)

It sounds as though you had a rogue pie.  About a month ago I had an inedible lamb shank that I purchased from Morrisons .  Hubbies was fine but mine was nothing but gristle.  It has put us off shopping in Morrisons again.   

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 07:33:26 »
We have a farm shop near us and they sell lovely pies.....Lamb and Mint is my favourite! They aren't cheap but I guess you get what you pay for :)
For me a pie MUST have a top and bottom crust!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 08:09:25 »
Go in and complain

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 08:30:15 »
As was mentioned get to there customer service dept and dont leave untill youve been heard by their on duty manager as once that person gets a "one on one" they are supposed to see the complaint through to your satisfaction Ace.
Wise words of wisdom ,like,"The nationals will hear of this" is enough to perk their interest,I know when im saying the right things cos Jude walks away..... ::)

Oh,and we left Heathrow@ 6am yesterday and were in Hull within 4 hours .....it was shut...I jest....we left by
14.30pm after her seeing her customer and me seeing "The deep" aquarium....brilliant....other than that we left the North and was safely back in the "SARF" by 18.00pm....phew..it was a close thing..... ;) ::)
Dont ever ever threaten to go North again on an open forum,anyway,Yud never fit in with ya tackle hanging out thru that raincoat...... :D

Gazza

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 08:35:35 »
Go in and complain

Dog has ate the pie, She will not let me go in the store since I embarassed  her and parked in the disabled bit and when some jobsworth asked what was wrong with me I told him I was f#ing psychotic, does that count.

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 08:37:05 »
Sainsburys dont want you to be unhappy with any purchase... its their policy.
Phone up the comments number on the back of the packet and just tell them what you found.
I bought a pack of 8 aa batteries there before xmas for 2 clocks, i have used them all already. And whats more, the clocks keep losing and catching me out.
So i rang them.. gave details off the pack etc..told how crap they were. Then i was credited £5 woth of points to my nectar card. They dont want you to be out of pocket either.
I found them very good.. and pleased for feedback.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 08:45:26 »
Anything without pastry all round isn't a pie, it's a casserole with a pretentious crouton

;D  ;D  ;D

** is unable to imagine an unpretentious crouton **

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 09:13:18 »
Well, in France they don't know what a pie is so I have no choice but to make my own! But as you know, we Aussies are brought up on the humble meat pie and most of us know that they are mostly made with the scrapings off the abattoir floors ( "a cow's lughole?? By God, you were lucky! We would have given our eye teeth for a cow's lughole! We had to make do with licking pictures of a cow outside the butcher shop window!"), but we eat them alll the same...
Except for:
http://www.yatalapies.com.au/ The Menu page shows the varieties.
Yatala Pies are a local institution in Brisbane, and we would always stop on the way back from the coast to buy some for tea. Absolutely delicious and fresh baked.

Sainsbury's indeed, whatever were you thinking???
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 10:17:58 »
...Except for:
http://www.yatalapies.com.au/ The Menu page shows the varieties.
Yatala Pies are a local institution in Brisbane, and we would always stop on the way back from the coast to buy some for tea. Absolutely delicious and fresh baked.

Well, that's taught me a new word: "chicken salt".    ;D

meter rat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 20:51:49 »
Southerners.  ??? You don't even get mushy peas with your lughole pies. How do you survive?  :o

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 14:26:34 »

Well, that's taught me a new word: "chicken salt".    ;D

Ha ha you know what that is? It's the seasoned salt that you use to put on bbq chicken as you cook it. It's really tasty, I think it's probably full of MSG - in Oz KFC use it on their chips which makes them highly more-ish!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 14:29:09 »
Ha ha you know what that is? It's the seasoned salt that you use to put on bbq chicken as you cook it. It's really tasty, I think it's probably full of MSG - in Oz KFC use it on their chips which makes them highly more-ish!

We also tend to say "Hot chips" if we mean fries because we tend to say just chips for potato chips (crisps). ;) 
It is English, of a sort!!!

I am afraid that the peas they mention will just be garden peas though as mushy peas don't go down so well in 30 degree heat!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal