Author Topic: Things that need covering after planting  (Read 1198 times)

chrisbond

Things that need covering after planting
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:39:40 »
Hi,

We've been busy with our new allotment got some raised beds and greenhouse up.  Next weekend we're due to move the raised beds to the final position and start planting.

We intend on planting some broadbeans, we have a few left that the mice havent eatten or died because of the heat.  I've also started off some more in the house instead of the greenhouse dont know if they'll be ready for Sunday though.

We are planting the onion's and garlic (from modules), also carrots and new potoatoes (earlys).

Will the broadbeans and carrots need protection straight away?  I was thinking of getting some scofolding debris netting and making a simple frame up with blue water pipe but havent got much water pipe and need to order the debris netting today if i need it.

Thanks,
Chris

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Things that need covering after planting
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 15:24:07 »
I would say that the broadbeans no, but maybe fleece the carrots but it depends where you are Chris! Between Inverness and Devon, the answer won't be the same :)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 15:58:25 »
I put bottle cloches over my broadbeans until they are about 3-4 inches tall.   In the garden I loose them to squirrels and at the allotment to voles.  Not sure debris netting will protect them against these.  They are clever enough to get inside. 

Carrots need a much finer netting than debris to keep out the carrot root fly.  Save the debris netting for your brassicas to keep off the cabbage white butterflies and pigeons.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 17:52:05 »
Carrots are likely to need protection, and as the soil is still cold, they may just rot. Try it and see. Broad beans need protection from mice and birds - I start them in pots as they transplant easily - but once they're up, they're OK, and they don't mind the cold.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal