Author Topic: Walk in Greenhouse question  (Read 3194 times)

lollydeakins

Walk in Greenhouse question
« on: March 18, 2012, 12:47:23 »

Newbie here so hello all  :) I've just got our first allotment plot - no waiting list and 3 1/2 plots to choose from! very lucky and I can start work in a couple of weeks.
Anyhoo we have managed to get a greenhouse off of Freecycle (more luck!) and that's going in our garden but I'm wondering if its worth buying a walk in greenhouse - the fabric type - to have on my plot. I know they aren't great for actually growing in but do you think its worth getting one just to use as shelter i.e if the heavens open when we were down there and storing bits and bobs in. Or will it just fly away at the first hint of wind?  ???

Thank you  ;D

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
Re: Walk in Greenhouse question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 13:16:38 »

Golden rule No1.   NEVER take anything down the allotment you are not prepared to lose.  (one way or another).   

As to it blowing away, as long as you sink the fabric into the ground it should stay.     Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

lollydeakins

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 13:22:47 »
Thanks Tony, they're only 30 odd quid so might risk it - didnt think of burying the fabric (Im blonde! lol) cheers for that  :)

Im am tempted however to make a smaller version of this http://www.squidoo.com/plasticbottlegreenhouse

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 14:39:54 »
Hello Lolly and welcome to A4A.

Did you mean one of these -
[attachment=1]

It was brilliant for the first couple of years but then the fabric started to disintegrate and now only the frame is left.  I grew tomatoes and chillies in it and they did really well. 

You might be better off looking for a small cheap shed if you only want it for shelter.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

compostbin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 15:07:35 »
 :),.........i really love my walk in,..greenhouse,...i'me dis-abled,...need my motorbility schooter,..now,..to get up the road to my allotment,..but,..as i live in a flat,..but have,..in the communal garden,...(that no one uses),...a walk-in-greenhouse.....+ cold-frame,...+ a water-butt,....the greenhouse,..was quite expensive,...well over £100,...needed,...& woz built& set-up,...by a mate,...with the use,...of all he's marbles,...as i have M.S,...& coqnetive problems,..it is sorted,..with a good watering system,...am planning to start off many differant crops,...for the plot,...& intend,...to grow toms,...green peppers,....melons,...so,..as it seems so far,...vandle proof,...find my-self,..expecting it to last,..a bit longer,..than just a year or 8) 2..hoping,...to get a few seed-trays,...sown,...& in there,..over the next few days,...woz planting spuds,...on me plot today,...till i got a bit too cold,..as it rained quite badly ;D

lollydeakins

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 16:01:14 »
Hello Lolly and welcome to A4A.

Did you mean one of these -
[attachment=1]

It was brilliant for the first couple of years but then the fabric started to disintegrate and now only the frame is left.  I grew tomatoes and chillies in it and they did really well. 

You might be better off looking for a small cheap shed if you only want it for shelter.

Think Im going to just get something like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XL-WALK-GREENHOUSE-PROPAGATOR-PORTABLE-GREEN-HOUSE-STEEL-FRAME-H-D-PE-COVER-/230760402414?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Structures_Fencing_CV&hash=item35ba644dee

Thanks for everyones help  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 18:19:09 »
I had a mini greenhouse covered with that stuff. It was hopeless, it just disintegrated. I don't think the plastic can be UV proof at all.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 18:25:59 »
The wind batered mine in my back garden, it wouldn't last 5 mins on my lottie.   ???
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 18:44:57 »
I had a mini greenhouse covered with that stuff. It was hopeless, it just disintegrated. I don't think the plastic can be UV proof at all.

Me too it didn't even get though the summer and the mess wasn't very nice either  :(

Clear ones appear to be better but thats not saying a lot.
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 09:54:40 »

^^ My beautiful plastic greenhouse early May 11, it lasted quite well, and will do one more season, but it is the bolted frame version and it is buried with raised beds to hold it down.  The push-fittings frame version will twist a lot in the wind even in a shelterd site.  And if it is very small, the flapping of the cover will make the useable space very small indeed.

In summary - you can make these things work but you need to do a bit of planning first.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:56:39 by Ellen K »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal