Author Topic: HAS ANYONE TRIED?  (Read 1685 times)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
HAS ANYONE TRIED?
« on: March 16, 2012, 09:35:28 »
Don't know if this is under the right heading but has anyone with the halogen oven tried to cook pastry from raw?  If so, how did you get on.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Re: HAS ANYONE TRIED?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:07:23 »
Yesterday I cooked a sausage pasty made with suet pastry,I heated the tray in the oven for 5mins before dropping the pasty in on baking paper.I used the extender ring and the result was fine.
On the halogen forum from recipes I've read, cooking pastry can be a little tricky.Last week when I made a quiche I resorted to the big oven  :(
sanity is overated

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 19:08:33 »
Hi lottie I roasted pork today yum and,for tips, googled "roast pork in a halogen..." found some chap on youtube ;D
There seemed several videos of recipes for halogens,it might be worth a look  :)
sanity is overated

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 19:12:41 »
Sorry and apologies (and I mean no offence) for what I'm about to say but...... you bought a cooker, that doesn't cook???? how is that??

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 19:50:32 »
A cooker that doesn't cook ??? ???
sanity is overated

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 20:55:10 »
thanks for the info Macmac.  Never made a baking pastry with suet before.  How did it come out?

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 22:18:33 »
Sausage pasty was my late sisters invention,it was the end of the month ,back in the 70s.The freezer almost empty.She found a handful of sausages ,a few rashers of streaky bacon and some suet.She had four children and a hungry husband to feed so her pasty was "born"She bulked it out with stuffing mix (it was the 70s)
These days I fry off chopped bacon, onion,garlic ,mushrooms,thyme and sage.I let that cool and mix it well with skinned sausages .
Make suet pastry ,roll out any shape fill with sausage mix.I slice into the pastry sort of lattice like and bake.
It is and always will be Carols pasty and it's lovely just like her. :)
sanity is overated

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal