Author Topic: New Greenhouse help needed!  (Read 1346 times)

Stripeybea

• Not So New ...
  • Enthusiastically Optimistic Nottinghamshire
    • Lottie Photos
New Greenhouse help needed!
« on: March 17, 2012, 10:03:43 »
Hi folks

Am going to start looking for a greenhouse for this year but have a question about where to site it....

We have quite a decent sized amount of decking in the garden that now largely goes unused.  Is it possible to put the greenhouse on that?

We don't have that much lawn so don't want to lose that and would rather have at home than at the allotment for pottering about purposes  ;D

Could I put it directly onto the wooden boards or would I have to put paving slabs then the base on top of that?

Thanks!
My Plot Photos! (A photo diary of my first ever plot)

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: New Greenhouse help needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:20:40 »
It would be possible to actually fit it onto the decking however one issue springs to mind is the airflow under the decking would not help with keeping it warm in the colder weather.

I personally would cut away a corner of the decking and place it on the ground if that was a possibility.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 11:22:11 »
It can go on what ever base you like.
Your decking would be fine just make sure you fix it to the decking so the wind cannot make it blow away or damage it.
I take it you will be using grow bags or large pots to grow in are you?

Stripeybea

• Not So New ...
  • Enthusiastically Optimistic Nottinghamshire
    • Lottie Photos
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 20:39:05 »
Thanks!

@davyboi - if I put some weedstop fabric and then some gravel, would that help? Hadn't thought about it being draughty like that. 
I cant reallycut away any of the decking, its levelling a slope and built up quite high :(  (the greenhouse would look like a subterranean cold frame  ;D )

@palmski yes, thought grow bags and staging for seeds and plants etc.  Him-Indoors is now looking thrilled at holes in the decking  ;D

Next question....looking at the polycarbonate greenhouses they all seem opaque, does that not stop light getting through or does it help if its too bright and sunny?

My Plot Photos! (A photo diary of my first ever plot)

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 00:14:20 »
Polycarbonate if twin wall has slightly better insulation value than standard horticultural glass but does cut down the amount of light coming through it BUT the light is more diffused so tends to penetrate into areas that light coming through glass does not, so this can be quite an advantage.

With the floor I would suggest using a builders damp course polythene rather than weed control fabric as this would stop airflow completely and protect the decking from dampness more.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 01:24:12 »
You can get clear twinwall but TBF there is so much light in daylight it doesn't really matter...I work for a camera manufacturer and we have real problems explaining just how adaptable human eyes are, so we feel things are lighter than they are when we're indoors and duller than they are when we're outdoors as our eyes compensate so much...... In terms of luminous flux a dull day as the sun goes down is about as bright as an operating theatre....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal