Author Topic: Another enviromesh question  (Read 2977 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Another enviromesh question
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:39:23 »
I've just bought some enviromesh 2.6m x 5m for my brassicas - last year they were decimated, I think I got 2 meals of sprouts from 10 plants or so.

I've read it's quite strong and durable, but as I haven't used or seen it before what's the best way of supporting it? I assume using canes might cause it to tear - is that right? I've seen some photos of people using some kind of piping - would that be the recommended solution?

I assume I've bought enough width to cover two rows of brassicas, correct?
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
Re: Another enviromesh question
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:09:35 »
I use pollypipe i will load a pic up for you in a mo, its very cheep, although i get it free in 100m rolls, you just stick the ends in the ground

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:12:32 »
I get the mesh for free as well, its used for screening and scaffolding, comes in great big rolls in green and blue

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:46:27 »

Go mooching around the local tennis club. (or even ask them) !  ::)   There are always old tennis balls around.  Drill holes and slip over the ends of garden canes.    Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 16:55:13 »
I've been using plastic pop bottles and some poly pipe for frames,can also be made using canes
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 17:09:47 »
Thanks for some excellent suggestions.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 18:35:13 »
I use the plastic balls like the ones in the kiddies play dens. There in our poundland for a bag of 20 just make a hole insert your cane and its great support and great for covering the ends of canes so not to take your eye out...

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 15:48:04 »
I've been using plastic pop bottles and some poly pipe for frames,can also be made using canes

hi buster:

i'm really curious how you made your frame, can you tell me how you did it precisely pls ;D atm, a friend of mine has 1' thick blue plastic tubing that is ready for me to collect, but am unsure how to go about making a frame for my brassicas re. dimensions, how your bottles fit together (what stops the horizontal tube from coming apart?). how did you get your tubes so straight? the tubing i have is in a coil, so it'll be a bit misshapen when it comes to constructing them.

thanks! ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 16:07:28 »
I suspect that the horizontal tubes are all just one long length..that's why they don't go wonky.
I like the bottle idea..and that construction method is cheap too!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal