Author Topic: White wormlike thingys  (Read 1695 times)

delboy

• Acre
White wormlike thingys
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:41:48 »
My new allotment has its share of wireworms, cutworms and weeds, but it also has some white/ivory "worms" up to 1" long and slimmer than wireworms.  Never in all my days have I met these critturs. Google doesn't help, so has anyone any knowledge of them?

They outnumber wireworms by at least 20 - 1, so if they are going to be a problem, it looks like they will be a doozy of a problem.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: White wormlike thingys
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:25:04 »
You might not have any concern for a worry with those. Hopefully they are Enchytraeids (huh..had to look that spelling from a book)..white worms or pot worms. They are segmented worms.
If that is what they are.."they  eat decomposing plent material rich in migroorgaisms, but they only digest part of it, just like earthworms. This partial breakdown of litter helps make food available for other decomposers.  ;)

I've had these white worms before in my soil in large quantities and that was after I applied huge amount of muck into soil from my chicken pen..it must be that time the food source had plenty of something that passed through chickens and they favoured it.  I do have some now and then but never seen it in that quantity that I had that time.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal