Author Topic: where to get free Ground Cover Material?  (Read 1804 times)

tommyaweek

where to get free Ground Cover Material?
« on: March 11, 2012, 06:45:23 »
I am just moving to a property it did have trees and weeds nearly 6-7 ft tall
Cleared all that back in november now all the little weeds are coming through. How can keep them at bay till april at least

pumkinlover

Re: where to get free Ground Cover Material?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 07:47:08 »
Mulch with cardboard or thick newspaper- anything to cut out the light.
Or if they are only small.
Hoe, then a week later hoe...but you will need to keep doing it.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 08:14:20 »
Yep..cardboard and newspaper are good..cheap and easy to get hold on. Just weigh it down first with stones/bricks etc. and then wet it so it settles down. It will form good layer against the soil that many weeds will find difficult to penetrate for several weeks.
It will work even better if you hoe the first lot down first..or scrape the surface with spade.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 08:41:20 »
Cardboard and lots of it then six inches of straw(not free unless you konw a local farmer), amazingly this will suppress even bindweed.....though not completely :( I've got some amazing roots under this from last year! This is in the fruit bush area which has a lovely mix of bindweed, couch grass, hogweed and feral autumn bliss  ::)

Wood chip would work too and a local tree surgeon will give you a load for free but it will be fresh. Don't put it directly on any soil you want to grow on this year but it will be great mulch by next year.
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 22:38:17 »
Yep Cardboard is your best bet.
All the big Supermarkets are more than happy for you to take theirs away and have larger thicker boxes as well.
Good Luck!!!

A Year On The Plot

• Spensing 365 day on the allotment
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 14:30:26 »
The other thing to try is old carpet.  Most carpet shops have a skip out the back and they won't mind you taking the old stuff.  Make sure you ask first mind, and don't take any foam backed carpet.  It breaks down and makes a real mess.

Cheers

Richard
Follow me as I spend the next 365 days on the allotment - http://a-year-on-the-plot.blogspot.co.uk/

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 16:42:29 »
get the hoe out !!, paper, cardboard, carpet ect its all a waste of time, its just a lazy mans way of gardening-and creates a lot of cr@p to get rid of

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal