Author Topic: Sunny Devon Lottie  (Read 3468 times)

whittal85

• Not So New ...
Sunny Devon Lottie
« on: March 03, 2012, 20:32:10 »
Hi all,

Completely new to all of this so relying on my big sis and you guys to help me through with my first plot. Fab sunny day in Plymouth for me to start tidying up. Now I just need to decide what to put in this bed. It's pretty big so thinking maybe of separating it with some access in-between. The other beds are completely covered in weeds and grass so I'm just going to tick along with this one then onto the next  :) Pics are in my gallery (not sure how to put them on here) and any ideas very welcome!

Amie

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Sunny Devon Lottie
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 20:35:12 »
Hi, Amie, welcome to a4a.
Our beds are 4' wide by 12 to 14' long
Sounds like you've got a good plan to me  ;D

whittal85

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 20:41:55 »
Hey manicscousers- thanks! I'm rubbish with distances so best get that tape measure out! 

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 20:56:07 »
That is quite some slope on your allotments so after looking at the pictures it makes more sense

As you are starting at this time of year you have the choice of pretty much anything.

I would suggest you think of what veggies you like and cost quite a bit in the stores and see if they are reasonably easy to grow and will grow outside in the UK

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 21:28:18 »
Welcome aboard.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 23:53:29 »
My favourite county apart from sunny Sussex and welcome from me too.

I've a flat allotment so can't really give you much advice with your terraced allotment, but if it were mine,  I'd go for any permanent crops like rhubarb, asparagus and fruit bushes towards the bottom. Midway, tats and brassicas and use the top for salad, toms and quick growing crops. The watering will filter down so if you keep the top bed moist, hopefully the rest will produce for you too.

Ninnys

whittal85

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:23:20 »
Thanks all for your replies. What a difference a day makes- pouring with rain today! I've got a long journey up to Glos today for netball so will have a browse of my books and start my list, exciting! x

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 08:42:32 »
Welcom eto A4A  Whittal. I can't wait for the pics to see what you do with a sloping allotment.Of course it would have to be raised beds.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 10:13:35 »
Enjoy ya time on A4A Amie,Jude and I were made very welcome and there is always somebody with crackin advise.,we are often in Dartmouth Devon and the hillside plots look great,maybe a trip might be an idea to see how they combat ......"The angle of the Dangle" of their sloped plots...and the best types of veg to grow in the South Hams.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Dartmouth+allotment+pictures&view=detail&id=6296A95032000BED3821E22813897CFFF1AEA593&first=0

One day,I want Jude and I to look out over the Dart whilst digging for England.....ahhh we can dream.

Cheers

GazNjude

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 10:26:58 »
Welcome to A4A, Amie.  

My garden is on a slope but mine is not as steep as yours so I don't have it terraced.  I manage to grow most things even so.  

The soil you have looks really good.  Seems you will have your work cut out getting all that grass out.  Our fruit and vegetable plots were very much like your lottie 13 years ago.  It is in our paddock and was covered in grass and nettles.  They still come back in places and we try to keep on top of them.  

Good luck with your venture.     :D :D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 11:39:05 »
Welcome from me too.  Looks like you have a challenge on with that slope, but the benefits is that all the crops get a grandstand view of the sunshine.  Looks like you have made a great start.  That empty bed look like it needs something planted into it.

My advise would be to keep everything very very well mulched up to retain the moisture in the soil.

whittal85

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 17:46:14 »
Wow, what a great load of responses. So my thoughts so far is to split the one bed up with a path along where the (still standing) wooden barrier is then one vertically up to the wall so I'll have a left and a right bed. Then turn them into raised beds. I'm assuming I could for example put roots on one side and brassica's or "others" in separate beds, as long as I rotate them next year? Any advice on a simple path +/or ideas of what to plant. Just sat trying to make a list of what I like to eat to give me inspiration.  :)

x

whittal85

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 07:20:30 »
Any suggestions on how to separate my bed up? It's about 17ft wide and not sure whether to split it into 2 or 4.....sis suggested woodchip paths between would be pretty simple and slates to divide the beds? Any sage advice welcome  ???

x

Linnea

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 09:26:19 »
Hi Amie

My advice on paths would be to make them of something relatively soft. as you'll be kneeling on it!
My paths are made of chipped wood which is not too bad to kneel on so long as it's chipped small.

Also you want the bed to be as narrow as your arm width x2 so you can easily reach into the middle to weed etc without having to step on the bed.

Hope that helps a bit

Linnea

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 09:38:32 »
My friend is a landscape gardener,and uses the services of Tree Surgeons on bigger jobs,naturally the chipped wood wastage has to be got rid, and my suggestion is to look though your yellow pages and make a few calls to said fellers,im sure if you charm them with ""a couple of packs of beer"" ,you may find you can source a supply and possible delivery of same.

Good Hunting

Gazza

Russell

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 01:40:44 »
Amie, welcome to A4A.
Although nowadays I garden on the flat, I was used to slopes in the past. You have to make little terraces (like rice paddies) to get level beds, one side of which will end up sunk and the other raised. It will be easier to water level beds.
Terrace walls can be made of timber, stone (brick?) or stacked inverted turf (like hedgebanks).
The easy place for paths is next to the terrace walls so you don't have to bend down so far. On the level I can manage a bed as wide as six feet but on a slope you will need something narrower. I used to be an enthusiast for wood chip paths and they are great for about three years then the chips decay and make wonderful seed beds for unplanned plants a.k.a. weeds so I have gone back to grass its easy to cut on level ground.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 15:19:07 »
Wow sunny Plymouth! My son lives in Plymouth and sunny is not an adjective he uses for it much.
Welcome to A4A

You look like you have really nice soil.

If you're making raised beds you need to be able to reach across without standing from each side and don't make them too long so that you get irritated by the walk round and start walking across. mine are 4ft wide and the longest are 15 ft with enough room to kneel between..that's an individual sizing.

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 10:09:39 »
Just wanted to say your doing a fab job sis :D I havent been on here for too long  ::) Glad to see some familiar people on here that helped me getting started :D

xxx ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal