Author Topic: Our bit of France!  (Read 2208 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
Our bit of France!
« on: March 02, 2012, 08:53:09 »
I can't resist posting a couple of photos of our newly rotovated veg patch, after seeing Goodlife's beautiful prepared bit of Britain! I love it when it looks like this, no weeds visible, although plenty of weed seeds in the soil I know, along with nasty mole crickets!
Yesterday I sowed the first peas, and I'm full of hope now I've at last sown something. We still have a good patch of winter veg - leeks,  sprouting broccoli, sprouts and Savoy cabbage, plus some frizzy lettuce iunder the cloche, and the last parsnips hiding somewhere.  Autumn raspberries are all along the side of the patch.  As you can see we have BEAUTIFUL weather at the moment, ideal for spring gardening, even if it is frosty first thing in the morning.  It will be up to  near 20º by mid-day.
We are blessed with a soil that is virtually stone free.  Oddly though that is just this part of the garden.  Elsewhere in the garden, even just 10 metres away, the ground is full of stones including many  huge round river bed stones. 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Our bit of France!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 08:59:46 »
Lovely...
your description of the soil suggests you might be in the silt by an old river course or morraine.. do you ever flood?
 :-\

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:19:54 »
We are at the bottom of the hill, and probably the river ran near here several  hundred years ago,m or more.  Now the river is a mile and a half away, thankfully, and lower down too.  Touch lots of wood, we don't flood, but one quarter of our garden is known as the lake, when it rains very hard or long 

Four years ago when we moved here, in March, it rained what seemed like every day, right up until mid June.  Hasn't been like that since, thankfully.  But we were a little miserable, and when we saw some very lifelike plastic decoy ducks, we cheered ourselves up by buying one, with two chicks, to swim in our lake!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:37:45 »
Absolute heaven
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 10:05:20 »
beautiful! when can we all come to stay?  ;)
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:16:16 »
Whereabouts are you in France? There are now a few of us on here!!! I am in the suburbs of Nantes. Bonjour!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:24:07 »
We are very lucky to live on the edge of the Pyrenees. Plenty of rain, occasional ferocious storms, but also warm sunshine in the winter, such as today's.  I think I'm off to do some gardening now it has warmed up a little!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 11:46:19 »
It looks lovely.  We stayed at a campsite near Argeles Gazost ten years ago and the wild flowers in that area of the Pyrenees were spectacular. 

How much land do you have there? 

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 12:04:39 »

Oh so lovely, and what a lot of land .
   June.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 12:57:45 »
We moved here from a very old town house (1700s) which had a small  but very productive terraced garden. I used to love thinking of all the people who had worked it before us.  Now we are in a big village, and with far too big a garden.  Still it did enable us to host our son's wedding  a couple of years ago, which was wonderful.  Their vicar even came out to marry them in our garden (they'd done the 'official civil wedding beforehand - she is Brazilian).  It even made history as the first C of E wedding broadcast live on the internet - for the benefit of various relations and elderly grandparents in foreign parts!
We have 5500 sq metres, or about an acre and a third I think. It is completely flat, so a nice change, but the water table is quite near the surface.  At least that means we have a well for watering the garden that hasn't so far run out.
There was no veg patch when we arrived, so we lifted the turf by hand bit by bit the first year, really hard work, and just kept going till we reached the end of that rectangle, without planning just how much a retired couple might actually need!  So we give lots and lots of fruit and veg away.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 20:34:26 »
It's not moraine; too far south, and far too flat. The stony stuff may well be an old river course, while the nice soil is silt from the old flood plain.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 06:10:18 »
The odd thing, Robert, is that over our acre and a third, there are parts (e.g. the entire area we luckily chose for our veg patch) where the soil is light clay we think, and there are no stones, tiny or big,  and lots of other places where the soil is different,  much lighter, with loads and loads of  small rounded or really big rounded river bed stones - I'm talking well over a foot across. When I think of our good but very stony veg patch we used to have in the UK where I never gardened without a bucket to collect stones in, I have to laugh at myself when out of habit I remove the one small stone that might appear  on the veg patch now, just because it is there and I can see it!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 17:55:37 »
Not so odd when you think how restricted the area of a river bed is, and that it moves about with time. You've probably got a few thousand years of deposits there.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 18:38:24 »
Looks wonderful. 

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 18:48:55 »
Tres joli!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal