Author Topic: Nesting  (Read 1882 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Nesting
« on: February 18, 2005, 09:45:28 »
 ;DJust seen some blue tits checking out the nesting box, anyone else seen any signs of new life on the way? ;D
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Kerry

• Hectare
Re: Nesting
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 12:04:19 »
my neighbour said that blue tits have been roosting in his nest boxes, he hopes they're going to nest there.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 12:14:19 »
that's wonderful! :D

I need bird boxes...
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 12:23:09 »
The starlings have started nesting in  the eaves of our roof....I know all of the problems nesting birds in the house can cause, but I do just love to see them whipping in and out, and when the fledglings come out and start fighting in the garden, they are just like my kids!!!  We are having new soffits and facias, but I am putting that off until the birds have gone because once all replaced, they will be bird proof. :'(

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 13:36:54 »
Lucky you EJ! When I was a kid, some house martins nested in the eaves of our neighbours house. We could see the nest from our landing window, so my sister and I spent many happy hours camped out on the stairs watching the birds from the nest building to the fledgling stage. trouble is, our neighbours had the previous year knocked down the nest, so we had to stay well hidden. Fortunatuely they didn't see us, so the nest stayed intact that year.
gone to pot :D

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 11:43:48 »
 ;DI love the spring, all these signs that its on its way, but I hear we've got some bad weather to get through next week, hope it doesn't put them off. ;)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 13:48:16 »
I have had the bluetits in and out the box for a while now, i think they have been roosting but they always nest we have a box at the back and front of the house. We have just put out extra fat balls with this really cold weather coming this weekend,made my birdcakes  ready for them. Have a nice weekend birdie people. ;D ;D ;D.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 15:30:05 »
I made a lovely big birdcake with leftover Christmas pud, suet, and the usual remnants of festive cheese, and seeds etc.  It was a two pounder and I was very proud of it.  I placed it on the bird table and was surprised to see a bit later the cake was all gone but the bird table was leaning heavily on one side.  It looked like an eagle had landed!  I later found out that it was my neighbour's Rottweiler who had sneaked in to the garden and filched it.  The owner said she did have the runs for a few days after but her coat was lovely and shiny ;D

Wardy
I came, I saw, I composted

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 17:30:04 »
 ;DMade me chuckle Wardy...eagle? would've thought it was a whole army of them..rottweilers are heavy. ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 15:06:06 »
Our collared doves (and the pigeons to i think) have shown signs of *ahem* courting. The doves i actualt saw 'in action' on top of the house roof - that is until one of the magpies chased them away! (magpies getting territorial is also a sign).

The blackbirds too have increased their activites as well.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal