Author Topic: Onion Set Problems  (Read 1937 times)

tottieheed

• Not So New ...
Onion Set Problems
« on: February 29, 2012, 17:17:41 »
Hi everyone again

I got my first ever onion sets about a week ago and after watching some youtube clips on what to do with them I opted to stick them in some compost in a seed tray to give them a head start. I have put them in the conservatory as it is still cold in there at this time of year. I gave them a little water as the compost was very dry. My plan was to leave them for 2 or 3 weeks and then plant them out

They have been there now for around 1 week and I have noticed a bit of white mould on the surface. I think this is growing from the compost rather that the onion sets but have no experience and wonder if there is anything I should do as I don't want them to rot or die.

Any thoughts?

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Onion Set Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 19:24:26 »
Is it on the onion or on the compost surface?

It doesn't sound like onion white rot as that starts at the the root vase.

I wouldn't worry too much but no harm in scraping it off if you can.

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 19:44:20 »
You say your conservatory is cold at this time of year, I too have a conservatory, no heating at the moment, but I have noticed that on a sunny day at this time of year the temp. can really rise, could the fluctuation be the cause of the mould. I would put them outside under fleece and extra covering if frost is forecast. Good luck with your Onions for the coming season. 
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:48:50 »
Mine are already going straight in the ground! usually they are very hardy but depends where you are...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 18:40:20 »
IT would have to be unusually savage for an onion set not to be perfectly safe if planted now....

chrisc

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 18:44:57 »

I don't think it is mould,  I think it is mineral salts being leached upwards and onto the soil surface.   ???    Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

tottieheed

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 21:23:32 »
Thanks for your help. I think it is coming from the compost so I'm not too worried. The general thought seems to be that I could have them outside already. I will pop them in next weekend, whats the worst that could happen?

Thanks all once again, more questions to follow!

J

JENIAN

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 16:05:02 »
Had mine in the heated propagator in 3ins pots for last 3wks.  Now 4ins shoots so hardening off gradually.  Had the same white mould around some bulbs, which I removed, with no detriment to the bulbs.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 20:39:00 »
Are you watering from the bottom? If so, it could be that water is moving up, bringing mineral salts with it, then drying out. The result is a salty layer on top. The answer is to water from above. Alternatively, if it is mould, you're probably keeping everything too wet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal