Author Topic: Last year's spuds  (Read 1383 times)

I love digging

• Quarter Acre
Last year's spuds
« on: February 25, 2012, 18:27:01 »
I've just discovered a leftover bag of Second Earlies (Wilja) from last year that weren't eaten.  They've gone a bit soft and have grown considerable roots.  Can I plant these out?  Should I take off where they've sprouted roots and wait for some more, much shorter ones? Can I cut a bigger potato in half and plant both halves?  (I'm sure the old guy who had the plot next to me used to say he did that, but he's died now so I can't ask him.)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Last year's spuds
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 19:18:37 »
They will certainly grow if the soil is warm enough. You can cut them but it can introduce diseases from the soil...
Try breaking the sprouts and roots off a few and leaving in water for three or four hours and get a bit less limp... enough to eat..  :-\

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 20:38:39 »
Give them a good drink and then put them in a cool light place to green up and firm a bit. I wouldn't rip too many shoots off as the plant had used a good bit of its sugars to make those and may not manage again without roots and a feed.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:23:40 »
In my experience you can cut potatoes in half as long as you give them time for the cut surface to dry out and go hard - and as long as each half has "eyes" or shoots......

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 11:43:08 »
Give them a good drink and then put them in a cool light place to green up and firm a bit. I wouldn't rip too many shoots off as the plant had used a good bit of its sugars to make those and may not manage again without roots and a feed.
No only if you still want to try and eat them..  :-X

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal