Author Topic: WILD FLOWER MIX SEEDS  (Read 8827 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
WILD FLOWER MIX SEEDS
« on: February 23, 2012, 17:13:38 »
I want to do a wild flower garden on some bare earth
Where is the best place to Buy !!

PLEASE  :D
i don't belive death is the end

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: WILD FLOWER MIX SEEDS
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 17:18:59 »
Is that after watching Sarah Raven last night ;D?

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 17:26:32 »
I was planning on doing one this year anyway,but deffo am now after watching last night! Have collected seeeds over the last few years from various sources,and just topped up with some verdena,corn marigold and gypsofola from Dobbies yesterday,cant wait!  ;D
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 17:28:26 »
Is that after watching Sarah Raven last night ;D?

yes it is it looked good   ;D
i don't belive death is the end

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 18:01:47 »
I've just been looking at the lidl's massive gardening event item on the bargains thread. They have a wildflower pack. BTW, it's part of the RHS for this year's britain in bloom so they're going to be all over the place  ;D

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:28:59 »

Wild flowers I love them ,it takes me back to my childhood .I remember Kingcups, raggie robin, coltsfoot, foxgloves.scarlet pimpernel. bluebells, cowslips, wild daffodils,, wild garlic, wood anemones buttercups ,daisies, corn flowers. dog roses, may flowers, I am sure someone will  remember some more. I can almost smell the may, as I type this post.

Planting wild flowers seems a lovely idea
   June.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 13:17:23 »
Ive just bought a mixed pack from poundland,dunno if theyll be any good,but planning on direct sowing them and then add to it with the packets (greenhouse sown)
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 13:23:09 »

I usually buy them from HB about £1.99  I think . They contain a variety of different seeds all of one colour. I think they do yellow, blue and red. Have bought them for a few years now and never had any complaints

X Chas

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 13:38:33 »
I'd sown some by the Wildlife Trust when they gave free seeds about 2 yrs ago, but these didn't flower for me till last yr. they were ox-eye daisy, corncockle, sorrel, yarrow, ladies bedstraw etc., they weren't listed by name on the packet, just said Mini Meadow Wildflower seeds..

i think you can still get free seeds if you go to their events...

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 13:41:19 »
I bought several packets of annuals as well as some mixed wild seed to make a wildflower garden in the big bare patches in the hedge that run alongside Tonys plot.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 13:42:15 »
@manicscousers
I sowed the Lidl mix last year and it was pretty good. QUite tall ones! A lot of cosmos, something with purple bellshaped flowers on a stiff stem, something white and frothy, a few daisies. Very pretty mixture.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 14:27:27 »
I just bought these

Butterfly Mixture Throw & Grow Flower Garden Plant Seeds   
Item picture

Butterfly Mixture Throw & Grow Flower Garden Plant Seeds

£1.39

Free

postage & packaging

Meadow Flowers Mixed Throw & Grow Flower Garden Plant Seeds   

Meadow Flowers Mixed Throw & Grow Flower Garden Plant Seeds

£1.39

Free

postage & packaging

Perennial Mixture Throw & Grow Flower Garden Plant Seeds   
Item picture

Perennial Mixture Throw & Grow Flower Garden Plant Seeds

£1.39

Free

postage & packaging

Wildflowers Mixed Throw & Grow Flower Garden Plant Seeds   

Wildflowers Mixed Throw & Grow Flower Garden Plant Seeds

£1.39

Free

postage & packaging

I got 4 different pack and some poppy and other bits from him

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251001826274?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 14:45:24 »
That should give you a lovely display.
We will all have to share our successes and  or disasters during the year.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

LittleBean

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 09:41:56 »
Have you heard about the 'Field of Dreams', at Barcroft Hall in South Petherton, Somerset, not too far to travel from where you are.... it was featured on Gardeners World last night and looked fabulous, 2 acres of wildflowers and open to the public from end of June to beginning of September.  Think I'll be going for some inspiration.  I've got two trays of wildflowers seeds started off in my greenhouse as I want to plant the individual plants into our lawn which already has some poppies and other flowers in.  Wonderful for the bugs!

http://barcrofthall.co.uk/WildFlowers2011.aspx

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 10:45:58 »
Did some sweet peas and foxglove (3,000 seeds) last week at the back of the lotty, and doing some wild flowers this weekend also mostly throw and grow about 4,000 to 5,000 seeds, perennials and annuals mixed seeds, corn poppy mixed (14,000 seeds) lavender (600 seeds) marigolds mixed (600) and I have some herbs as well, like sage oregano, and stuff like that, I have other flowering things as well, like about 10 sunflowers for the birds, I noticed last year, as I'm new to the lotty, that no one had any flowers at all, OK I have gone a bit over the top I know, but if even just 10% get up and grow, then it will make a difference, why cant people give something back, it only takes a little space to have flowers, how else are you going to pollinate everything?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 11:44:45 »
I bought a packet of wildflower seeds at the Eden Project last summer after seeing the beautiful wildfloers garden there. If it stops raining I'm going to dig up some grass at the front of my house this weekend and sow them there. Fingers crossed!

The packet says to sow in fertile soil, but I thought I'd read that poor soil is better? What does anyone think? There's not much depth of soil where I want to put them.

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 19:55:37 »
They dont like fertile soil, there wild flowers, they will grow anywhere, given the chance, get some perennials as well, you wont get much of a show with perennials this year, but you will next, and you'll have them coming back year after year then

AdeTheSpade

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 23:02:17 »
I also watched Sarah Raven's programs, and decided to sow some wild flower seeds on a patch of ground on my allotment which is a bit wild - just grew lots of weeds, and my strawberry runners also romped all over it, so I've cleared it all now.  After much searching on t'internet, I realised that you can buy all sorts from her website (I just googled Sarah Raven) and I got several sorts to encourage the beneficial insects - perennials, hardy annuals, biennals and half hardy annuals.  Really looking forward to seeing how it turns out, and also how good it will be at attracting the pollinating insects  :)

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 09:36:01 »
In Neal's Yard yesterday I was given a packet of wild flower seeds as part of their- Bee Lovely &Feed The Bees campaign.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 07:04:23 »
There is the also the national wildflower centre in Liverpool. They do native mixes for various situations and can do it in kg for big areas. You can visit them to see how the mixes look at various points in the year.

x sunloving

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal