Author Topic: Morning glory  (Read 1668 times)

admjh1

• Half Acre
Morning glory
« on: February 17, 2012, 17:13:33 »
This will my 4th and last attempt to grow these beautiful climbers.Does anyone have tips for getting them going please? I sow a whole pack and if I am lucky two may germinate but by the time they have goten to 6 inches the die off. Never managed to get even one to the garden I'n May.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Morning glory
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 17:59:39 »
Hi

I always soak mine in tepid water over night and throw away any that remain floating.  They are half hardy so I don't plant them out until late May.  My biggest problem is slugs and snails eating the young plants but I usually get a good display.  Good luck.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 19:21:14 »
Years ago I used to get Amateur Gardening & I think it was Ann Swithenbank who has just sowed hers, the date was May 21st. & she said she gets a lovely show sowing that late. I always remember the date as it's OH birthday.

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 23:16:21 »
Thanks I have two packs so I will soak one and plant the others out on 21st may I also can't forget that date it's my birthday as well x ;D

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 07:57:35 »
I don't even try to sow them until early May - any dip in temperature and they will go pale, spindly and die.  They romp away in warm position after that but don't really get going with the flowers until August but right through from then until frosts.

garrett

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 20:15:09 »
I grew these for the first time last year and found them pretty easy. I soaked them overnight in warm water then sowed them individually in loo rolls in late April. Popped them out in the garden in late May and they romped away. I even remembered to collect some seed in Autumn so I'll grow them again this year.

I grew the Purple Haze variety from Eden Project seeds. I've read that some do better in our climate than others.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 21:17:55 »
Thankyou for all the tips folks. I'm not much of a flower person but I picked up a 25p pack from Lidl the other day. I shall grow according to your instructions... ;D ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal