Author Topic: An Experiment with Fig Tree Prunings  (Read 4615 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
An Experiment with Fig Tree Prunings
« on: February 11, 2012, 05:48:08 »
There was a YouTube segment showing a man who took some branches from his pruned fig tree and put them in water in a milk jug outside and they rooted by the end of summer.

I've layered branches underground and that worked but thought I'd try this other way. About 2 weeks ago I took a few sticks off my potted Brown Turkey Fig that is in our unheated garage and put them in a mug of water in the house. They are now showing the beginnings of leaves popping out and one branch which is as thick as my little finger (the others are spindlier) has a white nubbin of something which I'm hoping might be a root eventually. Maybe.

Wondering if any of you have tried rooting them in water.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: An Experiment with Fig Tree Prunings
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 06:59:06 »
I've done the same as you in the past, layered them, but this seems like a good idea and much easier.  Do you think now is the best time, or maybe wait till Spring?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 13:37:04 »
I've done the same as you in the past, layered them, but this seems like a good idea and much easier.  Do you think now is the best time, or maybe wait till Spring?
Don't know! Maybe prune some now and some later? If you have a sunny windowsill free?

In my minds eye there will be a whole forest of little twigged fig trees by July ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 15:20:20 »
Don't know! Maybe prune some now and some later? If you have a sunny windowsill free?

In my minds eye there will be a whole forest of little twigged fig trees by July ;D

I hope so!

Many people have asked me for cuttings of mine (don't know the variety but it isn't Brown Turkey) so I'll have to have a go.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 17:30:32 »
I am going to try this too. I have a fig tree growing in a container so will take my cuttings from it.

duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 18:20:31 »
This morning- more little white nubbins! Getting excited.
I hope Duke and Squash yours go well.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 18:31:25 »
Figs will grow from cuttings easily...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 19:58:09 »
I've put my cuttings in compost with bottom heat in the living room. i never thought of the old fashioned way of leaving twigs in a glass of water. ::) guess what I'll do next time :-X

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 23:16:11 »
I've put my cuttings in compost with bottom heat in the living room. i never thought of the old fashioned way of leaving twigs in a glass of water. ::) guess what I'll do next time :-X
Yours with bottom heat will probably grow faster then mine.

schmelda

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 09:03:44 »
Just to go slightly off topic... What size containers do you all use for your figs? I've just had one delivered, but helpfully the accompanying advice doesn't indicate what size of pot to use. The fig I have received is about 1.5m tall.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 09:45:16 »
Mine is in a half barrel sized pot. it's about two foot tall and the same width across the top of it.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 11:37:41 »
Mine also in about 1/2 barrel but deeper- have to use a dolly to move it to garage. It is maybe 4 feet but I try to keep it pruned . Had a nice number of figs this past year. Convenient thing about a really wide pot is it is easy to coil a branch around and layer it underground to get a new plant.

The reason I'm trying rooting cuttings in water is it takes up less room than potting them individually and then trying to keep them from drying out outside in our hots summer before they've developed sufficient roots

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 11:41:24 »
Mine is planted directly into the ground and not restricted in any way because I didn't know about doing that when I planted it!

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 13:54:01 »
Mine is planted directly into the ground and not restricted in any way because I didn't know about doing that when I planted it!

Your winter climate probably won't kill it. Here I would have had to go to great lengths to cover it up if it were in the frozen ground, none of which are attractive to look at. My plan is to grow some extra from cuttings and then try planting them out in various places in the yard to see if one might survive on its own...a big "if". Anyway, it is fun trying new ways.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 21:56:35 »
Mines in the biggest pot I could afford.[£26] its taken a few years to get there. On the whole it spends summers outside and winters in the poly. But it just got potted up before the big freeze and stayed outside. Now its too heavy to move without some strong tackle so I'm hoping a cover of fleece will be adequate and we don't get to many -10c again. I wouldn't pot on to a bigger pot until you feel its suffering because you can't get enough food and water to it. They benefit from a bit of constriction. i guess mine is 10-15 years old and I inherited it from my mother who was given it by a friend etc etc...I guess its White Versaille and gives a good crop.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 22:02:25 »
A video on youTube showed a man root pruning his potted figs using a chain saw. He just slashed down the sides of the rootball and repotted in the same pot with some fresh soil. Definitely not kid-glove treatment!

My plan is to keep it in this one pot forever.

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 09:13:07 »
I have just bought a fig tree from Wilkinsons when I pot it up do I need to keep I'n house or will it be ok I'n ingested greenhouse? Thanks

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 09:15:24 »
I have just bought a fig tree from Wilkinsons when I pot it up do I need to keep I'n house or will it be ok I'n ingested greenhouse? Thanks
Sorry using phone with no glasses on meant I'n unheated greenhouse!! Blinking predictive text.

pumkinlover

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 12:15:14 »
 ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 12:35:23 »
If it has leaves on it I wouldn't put it where it might freeze or it will drop its leaves though it probably won't kill it.
There should be a tag that says what variety you have and how low a temp it can take. Or google it.
Somebody else on here will know more than I.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal