Author Topic: Allotment Shed - - Insurance ????  (Read 10187 times)

DawnF

• Quarter Acre
Allotment Shed - - Insurance ????
« on: January 30, 2012, 00:38:23 »
Hi,
Can you get insurance for your allotment shed and its contents. ???
Just been up to ours and found out that some bloody thieves have stolen our mantis, strimmer and dab radio from our allotment...
Police have been informed.
30 other plot holders had there sheds broken into the same time .!!

I have never heard of insurance on your lotty shed but your thoughts and ideas would be a great help
xx

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Allotment Shed - - Insurance ????
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 00:43:41 »
I've removed your duplicate post so that you get all the answers in one place.

DawnF

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 00:53:04 »
Thankyou Ceres xx

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:50:59 »
give fact that shed insurance might be expensive if don''t have shed strong enough security standards what ever those might be.  a well built shed not cheap might be more secure easier to do and cost less  then insurance cost over time.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 06:59:12 »
The RHS do include shed insurance as part of the allotment insurance for the whole site. I would say that in event of a claim you would have to prove that your security was good though (just a thought).  It may be poosible to add on as an extension to your home insurance, try contacting local insurers about that.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 07:41:10 »
When I was treasurer a couple of years ago there was a shed option on the NSALG insurance... but it wasn't much cop for the premium level so we stopped offering it...  :-\

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 09:14:36 »

So annoying when something like this happens.

At the end of the day you can insure against anything but the premium reflects the risk so one would have to do the sums of the premium versus the cost of the possible loss.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 09:39:48 »
Hi,

I heard too that you can do something through NSALG, but again that the premiums do not reflect value for money. I had a shed broken into too. It was locked with a heavy duty high security padlock and a huge heavy duty lasp, welded onto a steel plate which was then attached to the shed with coach bolts.

The theives couldn't even bend it - so what did they do?....

They pulled the sides off the shed off instead and totally destroyed it.

Since then, I leave nothing in the shed of any value and just have a tiny padlock that could come off with a pair of pliers. If they want to get in, they will. I'd rather just buy a new cheap padlock than have my shed destroyed again!

Its a sad state of affairs, but unless we get CCTV or regular police patrols, I guess we have to live with it  >:(

sorry to hear about your break in and sharing your pain!

Sheddie
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

TAB

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 11:09:25 »
sorry to hear about your shed. ours got broken into twice last year. luckily nothing was taken. but the first time we heard the alarm go off. as our allotment is very close to our house. the alarm we got on the shed is just a shed alarm. but they used a bar to get the lock of. so we got the police in voled not much luck with them. then we got some blank cartages and put them in the shed with a wire to the door. so the next time they came the cartage went of we told the police. and they said that was OK and that it would scare them off. we was offed by the police a smart water kit.  a few days later the pco officers came and smart water our things. fingers cross we have had no trouble since.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 11:39:58 »

I follow the thought that "Never take anything down the 'lotty that you aren't prepared to loose".     :o    Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 11:51:10 »
tonyanne

what is the "smart water" kit that you are talking about?  I have never heard of it.

Sadly I am in agreement with others posting here don't leave anything of reasonable value in your shed as it will irritate you for years if it goes missing.

I haven't even bothered to look at insurance as i am pretty sure that it would be stupidly expensive and probably not very easy to claim from!

Old Bird  :o

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 12:59:42 »
"Smart Water" is a way of marking your property that "Crime Prevention" use... (a misnomer as it is inactive until someone steals your stuff!) Essentially it has a chemical fingerprint like "DNA" you mark your tools etcetera with it and if they are traced to a carboot etcetera you can proove they are yours..
Personally I prefer tricks like taking a wheel off and taking it home! Or paining it with pink stripes etcetera...  :-X

Monkey Brains

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 17:45:44 »
Sad situation to be in... but having experienced numerous break-ins, I no longer even bother to keep a lock on my shed, as someone prising off even a weak lock just causes damage I have to repair. It's heart-breaking to come in and find someone has been prising shed doors off and smashing windows and doing all kinds of damage across the site.

The only things they seem to be after are any kind of electrical stuff (we always seem to have break-ins whenever people are rotivating the soil - they must be attracted by the noise of the motors), so keep my strimmer etc at home now. And  the stuff like gaz bottles & stoves, that the idiots might do real damage with.

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 18:35:36 »
had my shed broken into in the summer,nothing stolen as there wasnt anything of big value to steal as i had removed my power tools

made a mess of the door though,and have been back to try again since,but gave in after bending one latch

im tempted to leave the door open in future so the morons dont cost me more padlocks

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 18:48:44 »
Depending on where your allotments are "unlocked" sheds can encourage vagrants... a friend in York had lodgers...  :-X

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 18:57:53 »
I just put bricks and a chair up against the shed after they also made a mess of my door in a break in years ago, I never leave anything decent in there, my mattock comes home with me and I leave it a bit of a mess in there so they leave it alone.
We've had a spout of breaking's lately and a few have put padlock alarms on them, but I'm not sure that's the answer though. :-\   ;D    
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 19:01:02 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 19:03:37 »
yes thats true saddad  :)

im thinking booby traps this year  8)

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 19:14:42 »
Anti-personnel mines are generally frowned on...  :-X

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 19:39:33 »
shame that,il have to roll with a false floor i think

some hard digging and a large piece of cardboard should do the trick

and the water table will do the rest  ;D

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 19:47:16 »
Or a doormat full of up-turned nails?!...although, they'd probably sue you!

::)
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal