Author Topic: Toilets.  (Read 2071 times)

cabbagehead

Toilets.
« on: February 04, 2012, 00:21:02 »
The allotments I belong to are thinking of putting a toilet on site,Doe's anyone know what the costs might be to link into main sewer,This run down the side of the Allotments,And would we be liable for rates? Any advice would be a great help.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Toilets.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 20:15:28 »
Sorry no idea. Our site has a composting toilet, which they apparently put in a few years ago, they got a grant to do the site up. That is probably cheaper than connecting to the mains. But even there I couldn't help you with a price.

CDave

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:24:00 »
Composting toilet on our site too. Comes with free, ongoing arguments about who cleans it out  ;D

Monkey Brains

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 07:14:18 »
You should be able to find out some info from your local water board.

From what I remember (making some vague enquiries about this years ago for work purposes) I had to pay the water board a fee just to look into the matter, but when it comes to doing the work it was up to you to organise and pay a contractor to carry out the work, but the water board have to come & inspect the work on completion to sign it off (which cost another fee). But different water boards probably don't all work the same way - they might do this for free where you are.

Cost will vary depending on where the nearest main sewer is located, you say your main sewer  runs alongside the allotments, but depends who owns that section of land and what it is.

And yes, I believe you would have to pay (though if you have water supply already, worth checking what your water rates already cover - detail would be in the bills).

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 08:29:17 »
Just a thought.  At home we pay for sewage calculated on the amount of water we use.  Sice most of you water usage will be for watering will you have to pay huge sewge charge though very little water will go down the drain? 

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:42:12 »
Just a thought.  At home we pay for sewage calculated on the amount of water we use.  Sice most of you water usage will be for watering will you have to pay huge sewge charge though very little water will go down the drain? 
If you can show how much water you use on your garden, have a meter on your outdoor supply, then you can get a reduction on the sewerage charge.
They should only have to pay the sererage for what does go down the drain, but will have to have two seperate meters.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

cabbagehead

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 12:57:03 »
Thanks for all your replies,Most helpfully I will take on board your ideas and make some enquires,

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 09:54:00 »
Composting toilet on our site too. Comes with free, ongoing arguments about who cleans it out  ;D

Yes...our site was thinking about toilets but no one wants the cleaning out job. As I travel further than most (10 min by car) in some ways a toilet would be handy but using precious allotment time sorting the toilet doesn't appeal.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 17:19:14 »
The shed for our composting toilet is being delivered tomorrow, exciting times  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal