Author Topic: Memorys of wartime rationing.....any one?  (Read 5426 times)

bridgehouse

• Acre
Re: Memorys of wartime rationing.....any one?
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2012, 18:39:30 »
Oh Laurie you were not on your own, I used to climb the big iron gate at the back of the Maypole pub, and have a few empties, did you sneak into the pictures to ,I did. we had no pocket money in those days because my dad was in the RAF, and my mother had no spare cash. all in all my childhood was happy  we were left to our own devices to run through the fields, and play in the brook, but at the back of it all I knew things were serious,  and  some bombs did fall where I lived, and Birmingham took a bashing it, was only about five miles from my home.Did anyone taste whale meat [called snook] oh my goodness it was awful, we only had it once

June.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2012, 22:39:27 »
One thing that youngsters [ and even doctors can hardly believe] is that just after the war when the hospitals were so full of wounded, my brother and I had our adenoids and tonsils removed on the dining room table.
 I can still remember the white mask going over my face....I guess 2 GPs used to pair up to do it... We both survived fine. But we lived in Ilford home of May and Bakers and were part of their first M+B tablets research for sore throats. Guess that must have been about 46/7

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2012, 23:03:36 »
I also remember having my tonsils and adenoids out in the local cottage hospital in 1951.  We were two to a bed.  One at the top and other at the bottom.   So many children (baby boomers)  the waiting lists must have been enormous.   This is one of my earliest memories at aged 4.  I remember coming home the same day and my Uncle having made me a snow sledge for me because I had been a 'good girl'.   I was too ill to even look at it, throat was so sore despite the ice cream and jelly.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2012, 19:48:49 »
When we moved to East Fife, first:

I was taught to read.....(I could already, but I didn't understand what the teacher was telling me to do so I was a bit sad)....then I got pneumonia and lost a few weeks and was totally bewildered.

May and Bakers was exactly what I had.......maybe around 1948? The most disgusting taste in the world, but I had to swallow it for about 4 years because I was always ill, and that was the medicine. Brown. M&B to me meant Brown Medicine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal